1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun patterns to the side-what to do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

My Iver Special Trap, which I will only shoot on occassion, patterns six inches to th left at 21 yards. I shoot left hand.

Is there an easy fix?

Foot placement

Hand placement

Add LOP

Could a different shell change the windage?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, mace certain that the gun shoots to the left and you are not shooting the gun to the left. This requires 10 shots from a solid rest at around 13 yards. If the gun is actually shooting to the left, your next step is to carefully bend the barrel. That is not difficult, I have even done it. There are several methods to do this. Neil probably has the best barrel bender system (forked tree) but a tire or a padded tree stump will also work well.

I know this might sound crude, but keep in mind that some of the very best shotguns have their barrels bent by slamming them across a block of wood. These guns start at around $50,000.

Pat Ireland

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

First, as a southpaw, I feel your pain. The first thing to do is to check the 'cast' on the stock. Most specific use guns are built right-handed. If the stock is cast-off it most likely doesn't fit you. Horizontal errors can be altered by several methods, depending on your budget and desires.

Kip

4. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

bushmaster1313, I have a question for you which is, does that gun kick you?
    If so it could possibly be your cringing just prior to slapping the trigger. This will be enhanced with a bad trigger and stationary shooting.

If not the above, a gun that old could have easily had a situation which caused the barrel to get bent. As Pat said, this is and easy fix. Simply bend her back over.

I would think one of the two is your most likely as surely from the stationary position you can hold the gun insuch a manner making cast not an issue.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you start 2 or 3 more threads about it. That ought to solve the problem.

Don

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

In another thread it sounded like you live in NJ. If that's a fact, you can bring it over to my place and I'll check it out for you.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.