1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun patterning and chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by laura!, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

I patterned some of my guns today. I just shot one shell per pattern board because I wanted to see what my shot pattern looked like for singles. I was not interested in POI, so I only shot one shell at 30 yards. From one gun I consistently got a nice 24 - 27" pattern. (I measured where I had good shot coverage for breaking a clay). This gun is IM. Another gun that is full gave me 23-25" of coverage. The third gun gave me a 22" pattern, but the sides had poor coverage, making the pattern more like 22" x 18". It is also full. What is a good choke for singles and short yardage caps and why are some so different?

Be nice please, I'm better at shooting guns than I am at understanding their mechanics.

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Laura, shooting one shell does not really give you anything except what that one shell did at that period of time. You really need a least 10, and more is preferred, to figure the "trend" of the shell and the barrel/choke. Because the pellets will not be in the exact same spot the next time. Patterns are like Snow flakes, each one is different.

I have to say you're better off then 80% of the trap shooters, most of them have never seen a pattern board!

Ajax

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Use the 24-27 inch pattern gun. Hap

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I agree with Hap, use the biggest and most consistent patterning choke. Along the lines of Ajax, shooting one shell may not tell you enough. Certainly, shot size, load and inconsistency with some factory loads could cause noticeable deviation in patterns. If you are loading your own and have a pet load, I would pattern it a few more times, making sure to pattern it when the choke and barrel hasn't been cleaned for at least 50 rounds. Remember, no one shoots a clean gun or an unfouled choke in a 100 or 200 bird event. Just my 2 cents, and probably not worth that.

Good luck,

John E.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The answer is shoot the gun that you are getting the best scores with. Sounds like they all have plenty of choke so the deciding factor will have more to do with how a particular gun fits you better than the others than it will with how the gun is choked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.