1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I have been trap shooting for a little over a year. I use a Remington 1100 with a 30" full choke barrel. Today I went to a range and shot from a bench rest at 30 yards. Shot 6 different targets. In all six, the pattern was about 90% below the bulls eye but centered on the eye. Is this normal? I had been using as a reference, a Remington chart, that shows to shoot a little low at straight away targets. With my pattern, it looks like I should be aiming a little high. Is this correct? I have been breaking 17 to 20 birds since I started shooting. Can't seem to get above 20. Also, I don't shoot much. Once a month shooting two rounds.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

What you described is not normal for a trap gun. If 90% of the shot were above the aiming point, I would not be concerned, but 90% below is not a gun I could shoot.

Pat Ireland

3. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

90% low seems pretty low to me. You will defiantly want to cover the birds, don't shoot a little low.

To get your gun to shoot higher you need to raise your comb height. There are stick on combs or leather lace up ones out there that can raise your point of impact.

Good luck.

Joe

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I had a Remington auto that did the same thing. I took it shortly after I bought it to a preserve where I was training some pups. I couldn't hit a quail. I threw a pop can I found in the water to see where the gun was shooting. Every shot hit completely below the can. My other Remingtons put their pattern where the front bead is aiming but with this gun you had to blot out the target with the barrel to hit the target. You can learn to do that but I would take the gun to a gunsmith and have them shift the point of aim with some stock adjustments.

5. tomc66

tomc66 Member

If I am aiming straight down the rib, why would the stock influence the POI?

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Once you raise the comb, you won't be looking right down the rib as you are now.
    You will see more rib.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you are stacking the beads and putting the front bead on the target, and it is still putting 90% of the shot below the aiming point, it is shooting way too low. You did not say what yardage you were shooting, but a 1/16th shim raises your point of impact approx. 1.625" at 32 yards. Your gonna need a bunch of shims!

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Tom,

The position of the eye relative to the rib is what determines where the pattern goes - its POI or point of impact.

Looking along the surface of the rib should center the pattern around whatever you're aiming at when bench shooting.

Raising the comb raises the eye and makes the gun shoot higher relative to the point of aim. You will need to raise the comb nearly half an inch.

You could cover targets with the barrel when you shoot but raising the comb would be much better. (It's easier to hit what you can see rather than guessing how far the muzzle is above the target with the target covered by the barrel.)

Rollin

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No trap gun should shoot less then 50/50 . I bought a new Remington 1100 Classic Trap that shot 8 inches low at 32 yards . That sounds like your gun .

With a gun that shoots that low you are done before you start .

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Either have the barrel bent or sale it for one that shoots a higher pattern.

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Tom,
    Your barrel should not shoot this low for any application. To change it, you would need to raise the stock significantly, as stated by Rollin and others. This measure does not resolve the issue of why the gun shot that low to start with. 1st step..Change chokes and pattern test again using 5-shot groups.
    If that doesnt fix it, Step 2... Shoot a different load and test again. If that dont fix it, Call Remington and tell them you have a barrel that is out of Spec. Save your pattern test results as they will want to see them. They will most likely replace your barrel. Todd

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bend it up until it shoots straight or a little high. It won't cost you a dime, take forever, or anything. A forked tree is all you need. Someone who can "read the rings" would be a help, but all you need is muscle and a way to check your work and you have that now.

Neil

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a "Step rib" bbl tht will get you shooting higher. $225

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Years ago when I had an 1100 that needed the stock raised, I removed the stock, bent the inner assembly up a little, and then relieved the wood where it met the receiver. Probably not the right way to address the issue, but I never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the circuit. Some of the add on pads available today should make it easy to see where want to be, then go looking for a new stock to fit. Good luck, Bob

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If the bbl is nice enough shape, give Remington a call and tell them the problem, they may replace it...N/C.

Any stock work is just hiding the true nature of the problem.

Doug

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

When I had the same problem I did send the gun back to Remington (1100) . Two week later I got the gun back from Remington and it shot the same no change . But Remington did put a new barrel on it and change the forearm . Now I had a new 1100 Classic Trap with a gloss butt stock and a flat dull forearm . I Sold it ASAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.