1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Pattern is off

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hreinke, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Went and patterned my shot gun today and found out it is shooting in the left top quadrent and don't know what to do about it. I just bought a new Briley choke for it because the original was doing the same thing. I am shooting a new Browning unsingle with ajustable comb and rib. Need help on this one. Thanks Harry

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Can you be a little more specific about what you describe as "shooting in the top left quadrant?"

Neil

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Just move your adjustable comb in the direction you wish the point of impact to move. For starters, I'd move it to the right until the pattern is centered and then shoot targets with it - you may not have to change the elevation.

Since changing chokes had no effect on the POI, it's safe to say that the gun shoots where IT looks - now you just have to get it shooting where YOU look.

Ed

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ed,
    You are wrong on this one. Right Neil? You want your comb adjusted so you are looking straight down the rib with the beads lined up for windage. If you want to change the windage the barrel needs to be altered, either by an off set choke tube or by bending the barrel. HMB

5. Neil Winston

Right, Harry.

Neil

6. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

The top left guadrent means from the bullseye it is shooting to the left and high. I don't mind it shooting high I just like to center the pattern. Ed, you think moving the comb will fix this? I was thinking if I do that I will be unable to stack beads.

7. Neil Winston

OK, that's progress ts421. The next questions are about how you found it was shooting high and to the left:

1. Off a rest or off-hand? Off-hand doesn't mean much of anything when you are trying to find out where the gun shoots.

2. How far away?

3. How many shots?

Neil

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

First, I'd make darned sure the barrel was true and straight. Then check with measurements to see if the rib may be soldered off to one side a tad, wouldn't take much to throw off the shot pattern either. At that point, you'll know what needs to be done to the barrel. Rule out the shooter first, then the barrel. Hap

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Trapshooter421.........If your shooting offhand try shooting a few rounds off the bench to make sure its not you that causing the pattern to be where it is. From there start your adjustments to correct the impact point.

When I got my Browning combo I was shooting low left until I got it adjusted correctly. Don't get to shook up just yet. I'm sure all you need to do is get it adjusted.

Bill

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Ed said....really pretty simple!

11. Neil Winston

Have you ever done it the way Ed suggests, HS3?

Neil

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Nearly every post I've ever read about guns shooting off-center are the same as yours. Guns shooting left and high for a right-handed shooters. Most likely it's the gun recoiling off your shoulder. It's usually a gun fit problem, not a defective gun.

13. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

I shot 3 rounds each time I patterned. I was also shooting off hand because there is no bench. I will try that next time,if I can rest the gun on something. Thanks guys this has really helped. I was also shooting about 35 yards. No I haven't tried what Ed suggested yet. I shot in the mid to high 90's when I had the invector plus chock in the gun, but it shoots the same way,high and left.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I want to carefully check the POI of a gun, I shoot, from a rest, 10 different targets at 13 yards. Even from a rest, I find that I have pulled of of 1-3 targets.

Pat Ireland

15. robertb291

robertb291 Member

Harry
    I to have just bought a Browning unsingle combo_On it's first voyage to the range ,I could barely break 20.I patterned the gun and found it shot 4"-6" to the right at 30 yds.Guns Unlimited referd me to Browning,who authotized Guns Unlimited to replace the gun(three-four weeks)Browning first had to test pattern the second gun(2 more weeks)I recieved the gun a week ago.The unsingle barrel shoots 1-2" to the right at 30 yards.
    Bob

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Had a bit of the same problem when I got my XT. Until I followed Neils W advice. I went over board and asked some of the more serious rifle shooters for some help. They have some nice gun rests and very stable benches. After a bit of a rashing from them rifle shooters. They proofed out that the gun/barrel shot true. The rest was gun fit and adjustment.

17. AveragEd

"The way Ed has suggested" has worked for a lot of shooters but might be too simple for some to accept. By the way, I learned it from a many-time and current ATA All-American...

Of course, if the barrel is badly machined, a minor comb adjustment may not help. But I think you would have found that during your patterning session.

Ed

18. AveragEd

Yes I am, Fred. With some minor bedding work, Jason and I have it shooting five rounds of factory ammo into 1.5" at 100 yards. For a high-intensity round like the .300RUM, I'll take that from factory loads for now. Besides, I got five boxes of Federal Vital-Shok ammo with 165-grain Noslers for about the same price as new brass and would like to be able to use them. But I have reloading dies and bullets for it...

Ed

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Absolutely double check your sight alignment, does the gun mount the same way everytime? It has to for the correct POI. Shoot it from a bench rest on a sand bag. Try 13 yards first then 35-40 yards, I have had bad Briley tubes in the past and they replaced them. But re-check sight alignment. Close your eyes and then mount the gun the way you usually do and then open your eyes and they should be right on. If not comb is not adjusted correctly.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. AveragEd

I wanted to better explain why I use and suggest the method I employ but didn't have time when I entered my previous post on this subject - I was at work then and this is the first chance I've had to sit down at one of my home computers.

Sometimes there is something we do when shooting a moving gun at a moving target that we don't do when shooting a stationary gun at a stationary target. I know guys who have spent lots of time at a patterning board making sure their gun shoots dead straight only to miss or chip clay targets.

I learned a long time ago that I'm one of those people. If the beads on EVERY one of my shotguns are not misaligned slightly to the right (center bead slightly to the right of the front bead) I will break targets with a bias to the left. I'll take the left side off straightaways, hit in front of left angles and be slightly behind rights. And that's not with just one gun, so it can't be a gun problem. Sorry, technocrats.

Wenig's identified that when they made the stock for my KX-5. They knew to look for that as soon as they sighted back over my rib to my eye and saw it was slightly misaligned with the beads on a gun with which I was shooting good scores. At my very first Phil Kiner Clinic, Phil spotted the misalignment but said he would withhold suggesting any corrective action until he saw how I broke targets, so he had probably seen that before (that's ONE suggestion he never did offer).

So sometimes it isn't the gun's fault. We're the ones with the software that controls what happens when we call for a target and sometimes our software contains a bug. I think mine came from shooting a gun that rendered my jaw sore to the touch and gave me a pounding headache after 50 targets early in my shooting career. I might just relax my cheeking of the stock as a sort of flinch. I do know that something happens.

Contrary to some presidential beliefs, relying on a patterning board to get your gun shooting to the right height isn't always the best thing to do, either. If I shoot my gun at paper, it will show my POI to be about 140% high yet when actually shooting at the targets that matter, I can accidentally release my trigger when the bead is covering the target and it still breaks. That wouldn't be possible with a gun that shoots that high, so I must be doing something that lowers the POI as I move my gun to targets. Since whatever it is must be hard to identify (it has escaped four different clinicians), why not adjust the gun to compensate for it? Or should I adjust it to smoke the hell out of paper and miss clay targets?

In the end, we all have to do what works for us. Setting up a shotgun as though it is a rifle might work for some shooters but it just doesn't for me.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.