1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Part Operation Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many double guns have an inertia block that is supposed to prevent doubling. I know some guns with inertia triggers also use this block to set the second trigger, but inertia blocks are also found on guns with mechanical triggers. The original function of the inertia block was to prevent doubling.

The inertia block is a small (+- 1 oz) block of steel that pivots 1/4 inch and is returned by a small spring. This action will slightly lengthen the recoil curve but not nearly as much as many of the other devices we put on the gun. I have difficulty understand how this small piece of pivoting metal can be important in a mechanical trigger. It cannot be as effective as a soft recoil pad or a mercury reducer and many levels less effective than a PFS. Is this part necessary with a mechanical trigger?

Pat Ireland

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It prevents doubling by blocking the movement of trigger parts. HMB

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I wasn't aware that inertia blocks were supposed to have anything to do with recoil control.

Morgan

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, remove it and evaluate the outcome for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.