1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Oil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mountainsteve, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Has anyone analyzed the ingredients of Rem Oil or came up with a less expensive substitute? I have wondered if pneumatic tool oil would work thought it is of a thicker substance. I am sure many of us would like to find something less expensive that would not damage our guns.

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

A few months ago I asked about Lucas Gun Oil here on TS.com. Based on many of the replies to that question I purchased a small bottle. I have now had a bit of time to use it and I find that the reports I received were indeed correct. I have found it to be very satisfactory to my use in the 100 and 11-87 I use. I am more satisfied with this than any of the other assorted lubes and oils I have tried.

That said, I can not tell you that it is a less expensive alternative. That is because of two reasons. One, I have not bought any Rem-Oil or even looked at it on the shelf for several months and two I do know that the Lucas Gun Oil I bought, at an auto parts store, is not cheap. I seem to recall paying about %.00 for a four once bottle. The first, and so far only place I saw it around here, was at the auto parts store. I have not found it at any of the gun shops I get to.

3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I bought a spray can of tri-flow after using on my old can for years. Now a different formula. I did not like what came out of the new can. Enviro frendly?

4. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

Try Mobile One synthetic 0 weight.

Nancy

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Let's see, you buy a Trap gun that cost anywhere from $800 to $20,000 but a $5.00 can of Rem Oil is out of the question. Hmmmm interesting.

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I don't like rem oil. It don't last on the gun. It seams to come off inside of my gun case.
    I'm a fan of Tri Flow it works good. Now in the last two years I ran out of oil and all I had was Marvel Mystery oil. This works well no rust and even cleans my gun. So for a cheap oil the works. Marvel Mystery oil should fit the job. Try some.

7. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in everything I shoot.

Lubes, cleans and prevents rust all for $1.50 for 4 oz or $10 a quart at most auto parts stores.

Mike K

8. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I use Amsoil 2stroke. Their website says it is 7.5wt. Prevents scuffing and cleans carbon. Kraiza, did you notice new formula of tri-flow?

9. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I just started with Ballistol. About $9 for 16 oz. Sure cleaned the carbon good, let's see how it does in the long run.

Chip

10. ken a

ken a Member

+1 for rem oil in the spray can. I get mine at Walmart for $5+ and it works well on gun,fishing reels,door hinges etc. Can't beat the spray can imo.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I just bought a new Kimber Stainless Gold Match II in .45ACP. Kimber recommends Shooters Choice FP-10 and since this is a pistol that lists for over $1,500, I figured I ought to use the recommended lubricant. I was almost out of gun oil anyway, so I bought a four-ounce bottle for $6.69. When you're talking about oil for the typical private citizen firearm collection, four ounces is a many-year supply, so its cost is really a moot point.

Ed

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Kraiza, did you notice new formula of tri-flow?

Yes. But I think it still works good. I race bicycles for years and Tri Flow was my #1 oil. When shifting was important you needed the best you could fine to keep thing smooth.
    I still use it on my bikes and now on my guns. But this Marvel Mystery oil surprised me for the way it cleans my guns and protect them.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

For the TriFlow fans, take a look at Slick 50's "One Lube" in the red 12 oz spray can. $3.98 ($3 on sale) at Menard's. Used to use Triflow too, but it got hard to find. Good luck.

14. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Mountainsteve,

Think about it, your car engine probably gets up to 250 degrees. No way is your gun going to get that hot. Therefore, any motor oil will be sufficient. You should be fine using any brand of 20w-50, 30weight, or something like STP. If these oils can withstand the temperatures of a car engine then certainly they are more than adequate to lube your gun. I hope this helps you.

Hit 'em hard,

John

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

What about good old "3 in 1" oil?

16. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I too used to use Rem oil, but one of the posters here on TS.com (I believe it was Pat Ireland) gave me his recipe of 2 parts ATF and 1 part kerosene. I like his recipe very well and no longer use Rem oil. I put it in one of my wife's discarded pump spray bottles and use it just like I used to use the Rem oil spray can.

It's real inexpensive also.

P.S. ATF = automatic transmission fluid

17. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

STP has about the same lubricating properties as pancake syrup.

Its job is to bind to oil molecules and keep them from separating from each other (thinning) as it gets hotter.

Mike K

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm not telling you what to buy. But my wife & I lived on a cruising motor yacht for 6 yeaRS, I was the engineer in charge. Super lube works. Well about 4 months ago I picked up a 4 oz container of Super Lube oil. All I can say if it works on commercial fishing boats. Your guns are a no brainer.
    Get it.

Phil Berkowitz

19. oz

oz Active Member

I use automotive 5-30 synthetic oil on all my guns. It works on ar15's very well. I shoot 100 rounds and the bolt, etc is still wet. I like ballistol also and it smells nice. oz

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil, absolutely the best for firearms, works on leather also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ballistol menards

gun oil forums

trap gun synthetic oil