1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun oil and cleaner for barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What kind of gun oil are you guys using on high grade guns to prevent rust. What are you using in the bores to keep them like new? Thanks

2. philk

philk Member

Hoppes #9 bore cleaner/aftershave followed by Birchwood Casey Barricade.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Ed's Red to clean them.

Fluid Film to prevent rust.

Boeshield for long-term storage

MK

4. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Mobil 1. Really.

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

IMHO - Wolf's Head is better motor oil than Mobile 1 but either way - motor oil is great for shotgun cleaning and protection.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The above link is a test Brownell's did a few years ago on rust preventers. I personally use Ballistol to protect metal, wood, and leather. And Kroil for cleaning.

Wayne

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

one extra detail - dehumidifier in the gun safes, wipe the gun down immediately following the event, clean them when you get home and wipe them down again before you put them away.

8. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

Hoppes #9 bore cleaner and Breakfree with CLP.

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I use #9, and liberal application of spray Remoil. I store my guns muzzle down. I then wipe off the surplus just before I put them together for use. I keep my gun cases cracked open and stowed in the house while they're waiting to be used.

I don't have a dehumidifier in my safe and don't see the need as mine is located in my bedroom walk-in closet within the climate controlled low-humidity house. I'll admit that the use of one within the safe falls in the category of "can't hurt", especially if the safe is in the basement or other location susceptible to high humidity.

Guy Babin

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Clenzoil

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil, when only the best will do ... It really works and has many other uses beside cleaning and rust proofing guns ... Great stuff ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Currently I use Gunzilla. It does a great job for me and it's a one step cleaner, lubricant and preservative. I have also used and like, Shooter's Choice solvent and Breakfree CLP to lube and protect against rust.

13. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Ed's red does everything I need.

14. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Hey Guy,
    I'm moving my house as close to yours as possible,if your house has low humidity it must be the area you live in.It is humid as all get out around my parts.................What part of Md. do you live in again?I thought we lived fairly close to each other.You must hole up for the summer,and never open the doors.........for that is the only way you can keep the humidity levels down in the house.
    YUKYUK.........................I'll see you and your beautiful bride in a few days.Until then,take good care of yourself,and have a safe trip to the Grand.

D.P.Reynolds

16. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

Breakfree "Collector" which according to the manufacturer was developed for the military for storing guns for "up to five years".

17. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

Clenzoil, Breakfree and Gunzillia, all 3 are CLPs Clean – Lubricate – Protect, all 3 are very good and I’ve used each one through the years including Mobile 1 synthetic oil and grease. I used Clenzoil in the 70s before joining the Army at which time I started using Breakfree.

During the later part of my Army career, I discovered Gunzillia and was quickly converted to using it over the Army issued CLP. The Army CLP attracted dust and sand like a magnet and would quickly gum up your weapon. Gunzillia broke down old carbon like no other CLP product I’d ever used in the past. I would spray Gunzillia on the bolt of an M4 (which are infamous for jamming while on burst) and let it stand for a short period of time and the carbon was easily removed. The best way for me to describe it is Gunzillia’s penetrating ability resulted in imbedded carbon “exuding” out of the metal.” It does a superb job at cleaning barrels. If you think your barrel is really clean try few patches with Gunzillia and swab your barrels allowing them to soak overnight. Come back the next day and run some clean patches down the barrel and you will be amazed out what comes out.

Following 30 years in the Army, I finally retired. I still use Gunzilia for all my guns. Regardless which product you use, I believe all the products previously mentioned are very good and it may be matter of “splitting hairs” as to which one is better than another. You are the judge, try them and compare for yourself.

Experience has taught me that the key to success is to simply “maintain & sustain” your guns with routine and regularly scheduled cleaning sessions. Take a little extra time and closely examine your guns when cleaning and look for any tale/tale signs of wear and tear. If you know of or use a good gunsmith it’s always a good idea to have them check out your gun especially before putting them away at the end of the season.....that way your guns will ready and waiting for you when the next season rolls around.

Regards,
    COL [r] Bruce Elliott
    Iowa

18. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Ballistol.

CLP and its non toxic and can be used for wound care. No matter it you have cuts on your fingers and hands you can use this suff.

They found a mummified guy in Germany from back in the WWI in some mountain range. In his jacket pocket was a can of Ballistol general issue to German troops. The lid opened and the stuff was as the day it was made. PS, his gun bolt opened up and the metal on the gun was not rusted.

If that is not the best testimony that can be offered I want to hear the best.

Ballistol. The stuff will outlive you and keep your guns looking new in ANY situation.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If it's warm and dry, I wipe off the outside with a gun-rag I keep in my bag for the purpose.

I wipe off the outside again before it goes in the safe.

If it's cold, I leave them warm up before I put them in the safe.

If they are wet, I'll do more.

If they are soaked, I do even more.

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

While on the subject, I have been looking for a cleaning rod that will work in a 34" barrel with an extended choke. Preferably an aluminum rod. I like to run a swab down the barrels immediately after shooting and then thoroughly clean the whole gun later. Also rub the whole gun down after shooting too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.