1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun not cocking

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by trapster12, Dec 4, 2016.

1. trapster12

trapster12 Active Member

I recently purchased a two barrel BT99 and sent it to a reputable gunsmith and he rebuilt it. One barrel cocks every time but the other one doesn't cock sometimes. Does a barrel have anything to do with the cocking of the gun. Any suggestions?

2. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Well-Known Member

Why don't you ask your reputable gunsmith?

ranch23, Shootin'coach and Cowboy Rick thanked this.
  3. pcrannel

pcrannel Active Member

Do both barrels use the same fore end? How is the fit on the one that won't cock? The fore end has to be in place to cock the gun. If it doesn't fit properly, it won't cock.

4. Allenn

Allenn Member

now that's funny !!!!

ranch23 thanked this.
  5. pcrannel

pcrannel Active Member

Not really. The guy was looking for advice and gets comedians. He said he sent the gun. He was looking for a possible easy fix rather than shipping the gun out again. Maybe you could get to 50 posts by contributing something useful.

Roger C and ric3677 thanked this.
  6. Allenn

Allenn Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I would post more often but I don't know anything useful.
    But I do thank you for the excuse to post again.

ranch23, Roger C and Shootin'coach thanked this.
  7. Cowboy Rick

Cowboy Rick Well-Known Member

Harley Lekvold is ABSOLUTELY right. If you paid a smith to do the work and
    Only one barrel works the job was only HALF done.

Harley Lekvold thanked this.
  8. shotgun52

shotgun52 Active Member

contact the gunsmith and see if he would meet you at lest half way on shipping being he did not fulfill his obligation on a complete
    rebuild.

9. CactusJW

CactusJW Well-Known Member

did both barrels cock before you sent it for rebuild????
    jack mc

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I had a similar problem with a Perazzi MX2000/10 at the grand this summer. Took it to Giacomo. Turned out it was normal wear at the barrel lug, which is a critical part of recocking. Perazzi's have a small replaceable wear block in the forend. He replaced it overnight and the problem was solved. Hasn't failed to recock ever since. Wasn't an expensive repair.

Not sure if Brownings use the same method, but a more competent gunsmith than me could always braze and file the face of the barrel lug to compensate for wear if that's the issue.

If you have two barrels for your Browning, make sure you have both of them fitted at the same time.

Run that by your gunsmith to see what he thinks.

11. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Give him a break. He's a farmer. You know, the guys who work 4 weeks in the spring and 4 weeks in the fall and then just sit around and clip coupons from their investment bonds the rest of the year ! He's not got anything else to do in the winter time except plan for his next Cadillac purchase or a new JD combine so he can write it off on his taxes as an expense.

12. Allenn

Allenn Member

So rude. Yes, I farm and I am jealous of no ones occupation.

I've nothing else to do in the winter time, so I guess I'll go to Florida in my new Cadillac and shoot trap for a few months. As for now I have to get back to clipping some coupons. I sure hope no one talks about farmers with there mouth full.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  13. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Hell, I thought it was funny too.