1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Mount ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Do you bring the gun to your face first & then slide the gun back to your shoulder or do you bring it up to your shoulder first & then bring your face to the gun? It appears the better shooters do the first.

Phil Berkowitz

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I mount my gun against my shoulder and then bring it up to my face. I try to never bring my face down to the gun. The gun should come up to you, you should not go down to the gun.

Pat Ireland

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I don't think it matters as long as you're able to keep your head on the stock through the shot.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keeping your head on the stock is important but so is seeing the target clearly. Your vision is better if you do not bring your head down to the stock and tip it forward.

Pat Ireland

5. nagantino

nagantino TS Member

A number of years ago I was drinking with an old timer. I filled my beer glass too full, almost to overflowing. T avoid spillage I lowered my head to the glass on the bar. "Son" he says, "Its a bad job when you have to go top the beer".
    I raise the gun to my shoulder and lower my cheek to the gun.

6. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I think Pat's right for two reasons. First the head up and verticle gives good vision with head bowed you are looking out the top of the eye socket. Second the bowed head is much more likely to lift and peek resulting in the classic lost target of trap shooting,
    Regarding the beer I think all techniques are good

7. checker

checker Member

Orvis Shooting School insrtucts the "bird" hunter to "bring the gun to your face the move rearward to your sholder pocket".....UPRIGHT HEAD POSITION

Same thing Hi ribs and lower/dropped recoil pads promote.....I agree with Pat up the road 45 min. Coffee in morn bro? My treat Again?.....uses "forgot credit card" every time.

8. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

#1 - ATA
    #2 - International

#3 - Neither sporing clays - lol

TNCoach

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm a "slider"

The key to a "good" gun mount is to begin with the butt pad close to your shoulder. It becomes fairly easy if you do that. Whether you "chunk" your face on the gun or "slide" it back is personal preference fo rtrap shooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.