1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Mount?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joey S., Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I have recently started shooting trap and have decided to shoot with both eyes open. I have noticed that when i open both eyes I see the entire length of the barrel with my left eye. If squint the left eye a tiny bit I do not see the barrel. Also, I will some times miss two or three birds in a row - I am convinced that it is do to improper gun mount. The other day I took a o/U in front of a mirror, closed my eyes and mounted the gun. When I opened my eyes I noticed that the top barrel was rolled toward my cheek and the bottom barrel was angeld away from my cheek. Two questions; does anybody elese see the barrel when they shoot? Also, what does a good gun mount look like and how do you keep it consistent. thanks,
    Joe S.

2. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

It is NOT due to your mount, it is due to your left eye taking over. You probably will not be able to shoot with both eyes open. If you PM me I will send my cell number so you can call me. I can give you some things to try so you can figure out what to do.Phil

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Wow, a personal invitation from the re-known expert to discuss that topic. Advice on trapshooters.com does not get any better than this.

4. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

For the past 18 years I shot with 2 eyes. This past year at the NY State Shoot I found my scores going right in the dumper. Thought it was a bad day but it never got any better. Had to go back to shooting one eye. I keep them both open to call for the target then close my left eye. I talked to older shooters and they said they new shooters in the past that had the same thing happen to them. I tryed to go back to tape on the left lens but that didn't work either. Head game? Most likly but it's a pain in the butt. Bernie K

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Bernie,

No, it's not a head game. What you are experiencing is quite common as shooters age.

Rollin

6. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I saw that thread title, and thought "he should have seen Phil's video today like I did". And then Phil chimes in.

Get his video. Really. Spend the money, then save for years on shells wasted on worthless "practice".

BTW, Phil, I finally wrote notes on the video today, and now have something to review between viewings. I can't believe I forgot all that stuff! It's embarassing.

Jeff

7. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Phil, Thank you for your generous offer - you have a PM. sincerely, Joe S.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I struggle when I have to aim a gun, rifle/ pistol as I have been shooting with both eyes open when shooting a shot gun for thrity plus years. I see the end of the barrel and the target. Every time I mount the gun I make sure it is where it needs to be prior to calling for the target. It works if I do it the same way every time

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Santajo123;

Phil Kiner very kindly gave me some excellent advice not long ago in regard to shooting doubles...helped me greatly. He is a class act.

bluedsteel

10. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Spoke to Phil today - he is truly a class act. Thanks Phil!

11. Phil Kiner

Thanks for the compliments

Santajo like a lot of shooters cannot shoot with both eyes but EVERYONE at the gun club tells him that he has too.

Everyone that can shoot with two should but not everyone can.

Hopefully Santajo will come back in a few weeks and let us know what he has figured out.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

As usual Phil Kiner nails this one perfectly with his last post. Unfortunately, one well known shooter's eye doctor will beg to differ on his opinion!!

13. Phil Kiner

AND I can prove with my trusty camera that my opinion is based on fact

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

watch the video and listen to what he said it helps.

Jerry