1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun mount

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK, New to sport,Broke first 25 in August after 8 mos. Been in a slump since I joined our league shoot.Came home,in a dismal mood today,wife said I was snappy.Out of the blue I told her how a guy suggested moving trigger for lop,and I decided to change butt plate length also so I did.Went upstairs to do that and realized maybe I shouldn't change both at same time but using the way he suggested to help determine it,I left it alone. NOW,here's the next thing I wish some discussion on.I was still uncertain ,sooo,,took gun down to wife(she's a seamsress,LOL,figured she'd have something to say about the fit,) Mounted gun,then she took it and said here's how she would do it.When I asked what was the difference she pointed to my trigger hand.She asked why I had all four fingers behind trigger guard then slid my hand up to put trigger finger in position.She said she noticed a difference in position of gun height when I did that.She showed me how she lays trigger along side of guard and drops or slides triggr finger in with NO gun movement.This from a lady who prefers Pistols over long guns .I guess you'd call it a four finger mount versus a three finer mount.I definitely noticed a differentwith the balance when mounting.Question is???(finally I know) Is this possibly a bad habit I adapted because of my short arms,And,could that be the reason for my irradict scores of late.I'm going to try and do it her way this thursday just because of less gun move3ment when I mount.Input would be appreciated,no criticism will be over looked

Doug H.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Doug- Proper gun mount is very important. You must bring the gun up to your face, not bring your face down to the gun. From your post, I don't believe anyone can tell if the change you described will help your shooting. All of us get into slumps now and then. The best way out of a slump is to go back to the two most important basic things. Stay into your gun and see the target. All of the other points of shooting are secondary to these two points.

Pat Ireland

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><i>"She showed me how she lays trigger along side of guard and drops or slides triggr finger in with NO gun movement."</i></blockquote>This makes absolutely no sense

MK

4. geeber

geeber Member

Unknown1, I'm sure he meant to say trigger finger, not trigger. No wonder people hesitate to post on here. It's like a buzzard on every fence post waiting to critisize instead of help.Gary B

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Not a criticism... just a statement of fact.

Posts don't come equipped with translators.

If you expect to be understood you need to start by being understandable!

MK

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

UNknown 1 ,,,geeber is right typed too fast,Sorry you can't read between the lines.Short stubby fingers sometimes move too fast when typing.Why focus on a typo error instead of answering question.As MK said,some people just want to pick apart someones post rather than answer the concern or question. To each their own,at least you didn't give any bad advice.And in an afetr thought,I'm sure you make errors at times also,I'll try to be a level better,and NOT point any out I may see.As I said,NO criticism will be over looked.

Doug H.

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Pat,,,
    Thanks for the comments,been trying to do just that..Yes,those at the club say the same thing about slumps..Guess I'm too impatient and think I should be able to pull out of a slump a little quicker.One month into league shoot,and I just felt I should be doing better.On a different note,one fella I respect ,after I was questioning if I should shoot next year,,smiled and said,that's the year you'll get better...He more or less was telling me don't give up just because you don't hit your expectations the first year.Nice fella,and one that ran them all last week,and was doing the same last I seen him today.

Doug H.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Your gun mount should be effortless and repeatable, if it lacks consistency, then performance will suffer. If it doesn't fit, you need to see a gun fitter to get optimum performance. The best way to get out of a slump is systematically. You have to be able to self analyze first. Pick your worst habit and for the next 30 times you shoot, you must work to eliminate that mistake, once it is no longer your worst habit pick the next bad habit and work on overcoming it. Yes it takes time but hard work and honest self analysis will get you there. good luck and shoot often to shoot well.

9. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Go to the pattern board and check point of impact @ 13yds. Try the different mount methods and see if the POI changes. Checking POI for me anyway is a great confidence booster. Knowing and trusting that the gun will shoot where I look is key. It sounds like the trust has went away and needs to be reestablished.

Regards

W&W