1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Mount Practice ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LABS4U0, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

I have started to practice my gun mounting on a nightly basis (approx. 25 a night). Mainly I have been concentrating on getting the stock in the correct position for a figure 8 bead presentation. Is there a correct method that I should be using, Like step 1, 2 and 3 or any check points that I should be concentrating on? Thx, Darren

2. BustClays

BustClays Member

So would I be in trouble if I offered that "mounting" once per night is quite enough? I truly find 25 times to be rather excessive, it's more the kind of thing that you hear about skeet shooters doing.

bustclays

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Bustclays, It is only excessive if you are NOT ABLE TO DO IT. For those of us who can 25 times is ONLY STARTING.

CHEERS

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm in my gun room a couple of times a week during the seemingly endless winter here and pick up and mount my trapguns a number of times....with my eyes closed quite often to get the "feel" just right.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Rule of thumb is, simply mounting the gun will only give you the conditioning to lift THAT weight. Your gun must fit before you do this, or you will change to fit the gun.

I recommend using 2- 5 lb weights and going slowly from hip to arms extended to about the position you would have with your firearm. I also suggest doing this on your opposite side, to equally condition applied muscles. When these feel light, go buy 2- 7 1/2 lb weights, then if you feel good later, 2- 10's.

I was using 2 20 lb weights until a senior student at my self defense class over torqued me and tore my left bicep. Oh well, a little time off and get it back.

One might get a 24" copper pipe that will fit in your bore (5/8" OD, wrapped in duct tape), put something in it, seal it with silicone, and silicone it to an empty shotshell. It should weigh weveral pounds. Stand and mount your firearm as though you were on the field. Lean, mount, hold for about five or so seconds. You might want to slowly swing the gun from left to right, then right to left, as well as up and down. Later, you may want to make another weight. Doing this to fatigue several times weekly will make your gun much lighter in your hands, and fatigue will not be as much of a factor late in the day.

WARNING. The gun will soon feel lighter and will swing with less effort. This means you will blow through the target until you get your increased strength and agility reprogrammed in your hard drive. I moved my hand a little back on the forend, and that is all I needed to do. YMMV

The gun should still feel light and agile at the end of the day, not like a railroad tie!

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

As far as frequency of performing the mounting exercise-

I discussed with a friend about how he got to the AA-AAA level. He said he placed his gun where he walked by it several times a day in his house. Every time he walked by it he would mount it until he did it 10 times perfectly. He did this every day for the first 4 years.

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

"I have started to practice my gun mounting on a nightly basis (approx. 25 a night). Mainly I have been concentrating on getting the stock in the correct position for a figure 8 bead presentation"

This is not necessarly the approprate view, my reason is that you should first know exactly where your POI is not conerning yourself with the figure 8. Once you know what your POI is then look at what the alginment of the beads happens to be. I would recomend going to the pattern board and checking your POI memorize your bead allgnment and then start practicing the mount.

Ronbo

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

I practice mounting my gun every chance I get. I look out the window with my gun mounted and pick out a snow ball or other objects and move my gun to it. It gets you used to moving your eyes to the target before moving the barrel.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A buddy told me the other day that Shawn Hawley does about 200 gun lifts a day! Maybe I should up mine to 500? :) Hap

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Frank Hoppe shoulders his gun 100 times day to keep in shape. Dave T.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Many years ago I use to mount my gun 200 times several times a week, in front of a mirror. I also had a pre-Jordan wall chart I made, and would mount and swing through the targets 100 times. I use the computer DryFire system now, a couple of times a week.

12. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I started a weight training program last spring to improve my overall body strength. It includes bench pressing, shoulder presses, back rowing, squats, power cleans and both bicep and tricep training ( incorporating both barbell & dumbells into my training). I rarely use any type of nautilus machines etc.
    I work out four days on and a day off, four days on and two days off. My bench press is around 300 lbs and my squat is over 400lbs. That may not be a lot for some but I'm 51 years old. My overall strength and health has improved three-fold. My shooting improved dramatically through the summer especially, in the handicap. I no longer get fatigued halfway through a three program shoot. I look forward in seeing how my training works this month at the Spring Grand.

Rick Brohmer

13. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I did over 1000 moves on my Wall Chart in January, it helps.

Terry.

14. biff

biff Active Member

Those moves we call "Hail Terrys"! Terry, I figured you did more than that, I do maybe 600 to 800+ a week plus the Bowflex and 5lb dumbells.

I agree with Shooting Coach's ideas on using weights. I use the 5 pounders with lots of repetition, which will build endurance. I don't feel too much stength training is what you want for shooting at moving targets, you want smoothe moves where all your muscles work in harmony.

As Terry says in his instructions, you want to make your practices as much like real competition as you can; mounting, seeing,moving and making the shot with a snapcap and follow through will be better in the long run for what you want. Writing your name with the gun or tracking polar bears as Otnot does is good and better than just walking by the gun and looking at it! Terry has a post on TS.Com where he goes into how to do your gun mounts with his chart or you can still figure something out with that info even without the chart. Biff

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Sheer brute strength does not get the gun to the target. Smooth controlled motion with a tremendous reserve and unending endurance wins at the end of the day. Brute strength is icing on the cake for the younger crowd. LOL

At 61+, my days of heavy weights are over. Flexibilty, endurance and muscle memory get the gun to the target without conscious thought. The reacive brain MUST move the gun to the target. The cognitive brain programs the reacive brain through repetition.

When I am uninjured and on my game, my firearm is weightless in my hands. I feel a little inertia when I start to attack the target, but otherwise, have little conscious thought about what happens after I see the bird. My cognitive brain says FOCUS ON THE BIRD, and the reactive brain takes care of everything else.

I can't help but think that part of the problem with flinching is when the cognitive brain starts trying to overide the reactive in saying when to hit the trigger.

When I started thinking about the trigger a while back, I started flinching. After self hypnosis and positive re enforcement, I once again trusted my reflexes and stopped flinching. I can now even shoot heavier trap loads without flinching. Most shooters over 60 who start flinching do not beat it.

Start the program today! We spend a lot of money on this sport, and are cheating ourselves when we tucker out, and fall apart on the field.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I shoulder mine 100 times a day, now I need shoulder surgery and I'm only AA-27-A.

17. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Biff.

I always do more moves in January and February after laying off all winter. I am working with a new gun, a TM-1 with a Dave Berlet rib, Kerry Allor release, Eyster barrel and a soft touch stock on it. I did a lot of moves to get the feel of it, I like the way it moves but Florida will be the real test. I like working on the new Sparta style charts too they are very realistic. I use the smaller 8 foot chart a lot, it is getting popular with a lot of shooters too.

Terry.