1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Mount Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Annie Get Your Gun, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

There is another side to this issue, and that is the problem with the shooter who takes FOREVER to mount his/her gun. It is absolute agony to be on that squad. I have been on those squads and thought that there was a malfunction or a problem, the shooter took so long. It disrupted the timing on the squad as well as breaks concentration. That has applied to men as well as lady shooters.
    One other factor with lady shooters, (being one) it does take us a little longer to mount the gun, I am aware of trying to get ready and not disrupt the squad timing because of the extra time it takes. I may be quilty of raising the barrell after the previous shooter calls for the bird, but I do not mount the gun.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Annie, you say "it does take us a little longer to mount the gun." How is that? Didn't realize that it took a woman longer to mount than it does a man. Must be missing something here.

I agree with ya about some taking forever and a day to mount and fire. Hell, makes me wanna poke 'em with a stick to see if they are still awake sometime.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hippie, somehow, many women have been taught to lean back, gaze towards the heavens, mount the gun pointed towards the north pole, then sloooowly lower it down to their hold point... Then start over if it doesn't feel right...

4. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

Hippie
    Has to do with obstacles in the way - some are bigger than others.
    Big M
    I too, hate to see the women mount the gun that way! Makes you wonder who the instructor was!
    Diane

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

BigM, now I gotcha. Now that ya mention it, I have seen that happen more than once. Guess it must be a gender thing.

Gne J

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

everybody pays their money, but I was on a squad a few weeks back and the guy before me would mount the gun and then focus on the house, you could count to 30 or 34 for every shot.......it was agonizing, I and everyone else on the squad shot like sh!t.....the guy ran them, but it was at the expense of the rest of the squad.

there is a limit to what you can stand before it becomes grueling.

tony

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Big MP. I love when they do that! Take me about 30 seconds to show them the real way to mount a gun, but thye think that guns and boobs deserve special treatment. Mostly they emulate some other woman they saw when they got started.

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

rhythm of squad was a whole lot more important when we used the old winchester traps

bob

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

TEXZ... Ah man... have you got that right!

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The mounting procedure described is excellent for showing new shooters, both male and female, what the proper final gun mount position should be. It's used by many instructors, including Kay Ohye. I've used it with more or less success when instructing "Becoming an Outdoors Woman" classes here in Michigan.

However, the idea is that once they understand the correct form, they should then be taught to mount to this position with a direct, economical gun mount.

Tom Stewart

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I heard they put a squad of five of those guys together, and they're still out there.

12. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

I have a crippled right arm and hand, and have to use my left hand to wrap my fingers around the grip (can't shoot left handed). This takes a little time, but no one has complained in the past 35 years. On the other hand, no one has cut me any slack either.

Hank Cross

13. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Obstacles? I thought they were recoil reducers!

14. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Ever see Cassie Hammond mount her's. Ain't nuthin slow about that gal. And a fine shot also. J.W.

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Cassie's cool. Love to watch her shoot dubs, especially.