1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun mount help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jd288, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd288

jd288 TS Member

I have trouble getting a consistant gun mount. Will an adjustable but plate cure this problem? Will it change the poi? Thanks for any help?

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

An adjustable butt plate may help but with the information given it's impossible to identify the cause of your problem.

Rollin

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

jd288- You have identified a problem that is not often discussed. Consistent gun mounting is important.

You can practice getting the recoil pad in the same place by practice mounting your gun at home. Some of us put more pressure on out cheek and we tend to move our head forward (crawl the stock) when we are shooting in competition than when we practice mounting the gun at home.

Mount your gun at home 10-15 times each day. You will find that after 15 mounts your arms will be tired. That will show you a muscle strength problem. After you learn a consistent mount (that will only take 5-10 days) then shoot the gun at a few hundred ATA targets and figure out what the next change should be.

Always keep in mind the interaction of the gun mount and your eyes. Mount the gun firmly, quickly glance at the sights and then focus your eyes on or past the trap house. Look for the target, do not look for your barrel beads.

Pat Ireland

4. dshot

dshot Member

Sound advice from Pat, brings things back to mind that has been over looked.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to get a consistent gun mount when shooting a free rifle a hook butt plate is used. I think I will try setting up a trap gun with an Anschutz rifle adjustable butt plate. HMB

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I was always told to raise the comb of the stock up to your cheek first, then pull the gun back to your shoulder. This relieves strain on the neck muscles, and will help keeping your head down on the stock. Wayne

7. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

The way I got a consistant mount is look at the front of the house,point the gun about 5 feet ahead of you at the ground,bring the gun to your shoulder,sliding it to your shoulder and at the same time slide it along your cheek,then raise it so it comes up into your vision,from that point move your whole body as if the gun is a part of you.If you are the only one at home try the mount in a hallway by picking a spot on the wall.Be SURE that there is nobody in the room on the other side of the wall.Bring the gun up to your cheek
    and keep your eyes level looking for the target.YukonJack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

consistent gun mounting