1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Malfunction on the line

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by widomaker, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I am curious to know what is the procedure if you gun goes down like breaking a firing pin or something while your up there on the line. I know most of the more experienced shooters have spare guns with them and I have a BT-99 to bring with me but do you need to have the gun right there or can you go to the motel and get it and finish up later. I'm asking because I watched someone change out a trigger once on a Perazzi. I know I must be able to find this in the rule book but I've found that house rules usually prevail. This isn't a big deal as I have an almost brand new gun and it should last for a while just curious

Martin 0765881

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

There's no rule, In general, if you can fix it in five minutes (more or less) the squad waits and you just finish up with them. If it takes longer, you go and finish on the practice trap. If you have to go to the motel, it may be too late to finish the event and you just end with the score you have. Say you shot the first trap and broke down after 10 shots on the second, but up to that time, you had hit them all. The score which would be sent in would be 35 of 50.

Neil

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If memory serves me correctly...you will have 5 minutes to fix it or get another gun. Otherwise, you wind up on a 'make up squad' sometims later that day to finish shooting that program.

At least it used to be that way.

4. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Sounds fair enough thanks.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I was shooting reloaded Federal Papers during the Kentucky State Shoot a few years ago and it began to rain lightly. There was no lightening so we continued to shoot. I got through the first 25 without a hint of trouble but early in second 25, I got a fired hull stuck in the barrel of my 870. My guess is that the paper hull picked up some moisture and enlarged in the barrel from the heat of the shot.

The hull just would not budge. After repeatedly dropping my "knocker outer" down the barrel with no success, I used a metal ramrod. This caused the head to separate leaving a portion of the hull in the barrel. I have pulled several separated paper hulls from my barrel with ease but this one was different. It was like it was glued to the barrel.

The squad waited while I retrieved a backup gun and plastic hulled ammo. The scorer allowed the wait. The entire process took way more than 5 minutes (probably about 15-20 minutes) but the squad was gracious enough to wait for me. I asked them to proceed but they said that they would wait. And they waited in a light rain. We were one of the last squads so I did not delay any other shooters.

I did not know any of the squad members but they were all super nice. I was embarrassed to have held up the squad. I now use plastic hulled ammo mostly and especially if there is even a hint of rain.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Teacher's experience is more like you'd get around my neck of the woods but a 5 minute wait in a big shoot and in the middle of the event with others waiting is quite reasonable....Bob Dodd

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"I watched someone change out a trigger once on a Perazzi."

Get used to it, lol.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't see the logic of keeping a back up gun at the motel.

Mine stays in the trunk of my car or behind the seat in my pickup.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.