1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Gun Laws in Ireland, or grab your ankles!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bill4807, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Irish gun laws

1. Where do I apply for a firearms certificate?
    The Garda Síochána is the licensing authority for firearms so you should apply at your local Garda station. You can find more information on firearms licensing and the application form on the Garda website.

2. What does a firearms certificate cost?
    A firearms certificate costs €80 for three years.  This is the same no matter what type of firearm.  A firearms training certificate costs €40 for three years.  A firearms certificate for a non-resident costs €40 for one year.

3. Will I need to have a gun safe or an alarm?
    There are different levels of home security depending on how many firearms you have licensed and on whether they are resticted or non-restricted firearms.  The levels of security are set out here (PDF - 101 KB).

4. How old do I have to be before I can apply for a firearms certificate?
    You have to be over 16 years of age before you can apply for a firearms certificate.  You have to be over 14 years of age before you can apply for a firearms training certificate.

5. What is a firearms training certificate?
    A firearms training certificate does not allow you to own a firearm but it does allow you to possess a firearm and ammunition (though not a restricted firearm or restricted ammunition) while carrying and using it under the supervision of a specified person over 18 years of age who holds a firearm certificate for that gun.
    You must be over 14 years of age to apply for a training certificate.  If you are under 16 years of age, the application for a firearms training certificate must be accompanied by the written consent of the applicant’s parent or guardian.

6. What is a restricted firearm?
    Firearms licensable in this country are split into two categories: non-restricted and restricted.  Firearms were divided into these categories by a  statutory instrument in 2008. This statutory instrument was amended in 2009.

7. What's the position with crossbows, spearguns, paintball markers and airguns such as air rifles?
    Crossbows, spearguns and all airguns with a muzzle velocity of over one joule (including paintball markers) are legally considered firearms and have to be licensed.  You should apply for a firearms certificate in the normal way.

8. What about CS gas spray, pepper spray and stun guns?
    These are all totally prohibited in this country.  Importation or possession of any of these items is illegal

Storing firearms; (as I understand it “restricted firearms include all pistols and semi-automatic rifles and there's also a restricted ammunition category which includes slugs and sabot projectiles).

Type and number of firearms Secure accommodation standard

1 One non-restricted shot-gun. The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part
    shall be stored securely and separately when not in use.
    The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.

2 One restricted firearm or Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe three or fewer non-restricted which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be firearms. securely fixed to a solid structure.

3 Two restricted firearms, or Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which more than three non-restricted complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely firearms. fixed to a solid structure.
    The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the
    place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621

4 Three or more restricted In addition to the standards specified at reference firearms or six or more number 3, the place in which the firearms are firearms, of any type, kept in stored shall have an intruder alarm system, the same place. installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Si´ocha´ na. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling

* "Garda" refers to the national police.
  2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Active Member

There were and are reasons people left Europe 2 to 5 generations ago, and it looks like some are still prevelant. Scott
  3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Active Member

I wonder if the ira boys follow these lenient laws?! Tom Rhoads (ashamed to admit now, my Mother's maiden name was O'Bryan)
  4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

The ironic part is as the irish govt put more and more restrictions on law-abiding gun owners, the more battle rifles, submachineguns, handguns and explosives the IRA got their hands on.
  5. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Just goes to show you what it means to have a motivated public. If any population on this earth could learn from history, it should be the irish. The idea of so much gun control was probably the idea of another country who had them as part of the "empire" for so long, and in order to get independence had to agree to this. Just my 2 cents.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.