1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun laws in Illinois

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KS5SPECIAL, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

I'm traveling to illinois tomorrow to do some sporting clays on a business trip.
    I'm coming from Ohio, I have a concealed carry also. I pretty sure I can't carry in Illinois.
    Can anyone enlighten me on the laws there?
    Thanks
    Dave

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your right Dave you can't carry but besides that stipulation as long as you follow common sense you will be fine. All guns must be unloaded and properly cased. Thats it . Don't listen to all the other untrue BS. We are not communists we just have strickter laws unfortunatly. Have fun and just use common sense and you will have absolutly no problems.----Matt Parker

P.S. If you are going to COOK County disregard what i said about communists because that County is.....Don't go there with a gun..The other 7/8 of the state is fine.

3. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Sorry but these pols here havent passed the cc/permit here nor do they honor any other states .But (dont quote me ) Law enforcement will kinda give a pass to ex police officers . I know we live in a backward state that cant understand normal people want to protect themselves

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Blanket statement: no concealed carry in IL. Specific statement: some municipalities ban guns, particularly handguns..mostly in Chicago area. Don't expect a "pass". Some officers don't even know the transport laws. Best bet, unloaded and cased (the law). No mention of where ammo should be in transport but it is safer, legal wise, to have it in another container, separate from the firearm.

Our state sucks when it comes to gun law fairness. As long as Vladimir Daley and his thugs rule the northern tier, we won't have concealed carry.

5. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I don't think that you can carry the ammo in the same case as the gun. By the same token, don't carry the gun loaded (with ammo in the mag or chamber) in the case either.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As a non-resident, your "best" recommendation is broken down and cased. Unloaded should go without mentioning.

If you're driving a car, placed the firearm in the trunk. Ammo in the trunk is OK too.

If you're driving an SUV or a "crossover" without a storage area outside the passenger compartment, the firearm should be placed as far from the driver as possible. If your destination has shells, I'd travel without the ammo.

While most ranges will accept your OOS ID for the purchase of shells for use on the range, some retailers may balk without an IL hunting license.

FYI,

Jay

7. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I would agree with others; firearms cased unloaded and no shells in the same case...

If you have a firearm or ammunition, some officers might request to see your foid card.

I believe the only persons with carry permits in IL are diamond merchants and private detectives, but it might have changed in 20+ years.

Here's a true story from downstate:

25 years ago a friend and class III dealer who sold only to law enforcement was pulled over for a loud muffler and was padded down by a rookie. He made the mistake by having a couple of shells rolling around under the truck seat...the unloaded handgun was in a locked container in an unlocked glove box, but he had a full clip (bad). It took bail money and a trip to the judge to get the whole mess cleaned up.

I personally would leave the handgun in Ohio!

TNCoach

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I think you're safe to transport an unloaded, cased handgun through cook county. That's about it.

No place in Cook County allows you to carry, concealed or not. If you're an Illinois resident, you are required to have a current FOID from the State Police, which requires a photo, a background check, approval of your local police department and a convincing permission slip from your mother. Members of recognized street gangs over the age of nine, drug dealers, politicians and their bodyguards are presumptively exempt and usually carry concealed.

A number of local exceptions have been allowed to become accepted over the years. It is generally considered impolite, for example, to take a gun to school, unless your life is in danger or you or your homeboys have been disrespected, or your girlfriend is being hit on by a member of another gang. Temporary exemptions are granted in cases where you are merely transporting a handgun to a robbery or for an older member of your gang. The use of deadly force is authorized for members of recognized street gangs in cases of territorial poaching, misuse of gang colors, or reasonable and necessary violence required of new gang members as a part of their initiation. Drug dealers are exempt in the normal conduct of business. Handguns may be displayed for purposes of private posturing in gang videos and for recruitment purposes. Weapons may be displayed for public education purposes on the evening news, provide they are scary looking and accompanied by appropriately alarming narration that includes the mandatory references to "machine guns" and "assault pistols".

Better check on this, but I think everyone else is forbidden from possessing, touching or looking at firearms in Cook County, unless you have a handgun permit, but the last such permit was issued in 1955. There are no licensed gun dealers or indoor ranges in the city. The last indoor range in Cook County closed about 10 years ago, and the last outdoor range, Cabrini Green, was torn down about the same time.

It always pays to know the law.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Guns must be broken down and cased long gun or handgun. Keep the amunition seperated if you can from where the guns are stored. Be very carefull to keep the guns hidden and if you have any NRA os shooting related stickers on your car avoid leaving the car unattended in "high crime areas" of the city or the burbs.(Chicago) if your heade for rural Illinois far less of a problem just use comon sense as another poster suggested.

10. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

Thanks for all the responces.
    We are staying overnight in Rockford. Would you leave shotguns in trunk or take to the room?

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Always take them with you. I won't leave mine in my vehicle locked in my own garage and i live in a very safe and secure neighborhood. Have a safe trip and have fun most of all.---Matt

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You may not be able to purchase ammo outside of a gun club. Some retailers think everyone has to have a FOID card (Firearms Owner Identification) even the non-residents!

Jim Skeel

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

KS5SPECIAL:

Check your private messages.

sissy

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Bruce..broken down OR cased is the way the law reads. You don't have to do both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.