1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN LAWS DOWN UNDER THE FACTS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jlpollo, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlpollo

jlpollo TS Member

Australian Gun Law Update

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.
    It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
    Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
    Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent ;
    Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.
    (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns."

You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information. The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

This statement has been floating around for a number of years.

I think the present gun laws in Australia were passed in 1996.

Knife restriction laws were passed in 1998.

I may be mistaken as I'm not from Australia.

Gun politics in Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Everyone needs to read this!

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Switch a word around and you can see the same thing happenning here. Australia is now America. The gov has control of its people and they have no fear of its people. That is bad.

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

First off Snopes is run by a couple of two faced liberals who "twist" their "facts" to the liberal view point. Snopes often debunks a whole story because Some part of it is unsubstantuated or found to be inaccurate. To be certain SNOPES CAN ALWAYS BE COUNTED ON TO GO THE LIBERAL ROUTE. I would NEVER trust Snopes too much. The fact is crime HAS gone up in Austrialia since the great gun bans, but to what an extent is still in debate. The Aussies lost their guns because their government is set up much like that of Great Brition and there are few "INDIVIDUAL rights" as opposed to our constitution which sets forth protections such as the 2nd ammendment. doggai has posted several LIBERAL slants to threads in the past. I doubt if he is any friend of gun owners and a supporter of the 2nd ammendment in this country

7. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Guy's.

Just a heads up on what happened here "Downunder" on April 28th 1996 a guy by the name of Martin Bryant went on a shooting rampage in a small country town in Tasmania (state of Australia) killing 35 and wounding another 22 people.
    He used a AR15 to shoot these people and in late 1996 the government changed our gun laws so all auto/semi auto military style and some sporting style rifles and shootings baned from public ownership.

There was a gun buy-back scheme put in place where owners of these paticular firearms could hand them back and be paid for there loss (a friend handed back a Remington 1100 and received $2,200 for it after only paying approx $1100 Aussie for it) if guns were not handed back within the time of the amnesty then very heavy fines or prison time was a distinct possibility.

The particular firearm used in the shooting was originally handed into the Victorian police (state of Australia) during an earlier gun amnesty and was supposed to have been destroyed by the state police but during an investigation was found that that particular firearm along with a couple of other AR15's were on sold to a gun dealer, but to my knowledge no police officer was ever charged with that offence.

As of today it is harder to become a firearm owner, First, it takes approx 12-14 weeks from go to own a firearm, first an application to become a licenced shooter needs either a Gun club membership or letter from land/property owner allowing you to use his land to shoot your firearm.
    Second, once you have licence (6 weeks later) you need to have a permit to acquire a firearm (another 6 weeks) then you are permitted to purchase firearm and finally enjoy your chosen sport.

All firearms have to be housed in a secure safe and all ammo needs to be locked
    away in seperate storage from firearm.
    I currently have 2 x Beretta 682 trap guns, 1 x K80 trap, 1 x 391 Beretta trap semi/auto, 1 x 17cal martini action rifle.
    For me to own the 391 had to have special semi auto licence which I could only obtain through medical evidence of shoulder/recoil problems, it took 9 months all up to get licence and firearm imported, I finally had the firearm at an all up cost of $3,200 aussie or approx $2,400.US dollars.
    I have since taken the 391 to the Grand and had another $1,000.US spent on stock-triggers-barrel work, as you guy's will know I will never get any where near that money back if I sell it but after the amount of time and effort to get it I will never sell it.

Yes it is tough to own firearms in aussie (unless you are a criminal, then it's no different to the US) but the problem is our small population (20 million) and much much smaller population of firearm owners, about 1/2 percent of our total population we are a very small minority in the voting public.

As long as we plan ahead travelling with firearms is not a problem I have been over to the states on 10 different occasions (have taken guns with me every time)to attend the Grand and other state shoots and find the US is tougher to get guns in and out of than Australia but then since 9/11 everything has changed forever.

Our gun laws have only proved one thing and that is it's a whole lot tougher for honest law abiding citizens to own firearms has done not one single thing to change ownership throughout the criminal world, most if not all gun related crime is happening with stolen or illegal firearms in this country.

Anyway guy's shoot well and often, all the best from sunny Sydney Australia,
    hope this helps clear up some misconceptions.

Gary Kennerson.

aka.Release Trigger.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Thanks Release Trigger...

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate,--WHAT DID I NOT READ? The snope statement trys to debunk the statements by injecting "factors"? that would cast doubt on it. It claims that even if the figures are true, it has no bearing on the U.S. sine the gun laws are differnt here. Bull $#!^. The point is if it happens here the crime WILL NOT go down and our freedooms(remember the 2nd ammendment addresses a (FREEDOM) not a privalige,if WILL only give the criminals an edge. The main point is NOWHERE have restrictive gun laws lowered crime and almost always increase it. ANYONE thinks restrictive gun laws increase safety is a FOOL! I also stand by by statement that Snoopes is run by a VERY liberal husband and wife who go out of their way to debunk anything with a conservative message. They will (and have) disregarded a WHOLE story for ANY inaccuracy in any part of it,if it has a conservative message.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Sounds like there's a need for a more objective Snopes site or maybe SnopeSnopes.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
jlpollo
australian gun law update

australian gun law update hoax

australian gun law update snopes
ed chenel a police officer in australia
ed chenel hoax
snopes australian gun law update
yanks down under