1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN IS TO EXPENSIVE TO SHOOT IT IN THE RAIN!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have seen and heard it all now. this past summer, i went to an ata shoot. i was standing in line to sign up and it started to rain. the guy behind me said that he would not shoot in the rain. i said why not? he said his gun was new, just paid x amount of dollars, could not take the chance of it getting wet and then having it possibly rust. i said, your joking right? he said i'm very serious. I suggested he hang the gun on his wall, if he could not shoot it in the rain. i asked to please let me see this gun. he brings it into the club house, it was a beautiful gun, with upgraded wood, enough gold in it, I said more gold then sammy davis jr. use to wear around his neck. he mounted the gun, stock was roughly 1 inch to long. i said have the stock cut. he said no way in hell, would i cut the wood on this gun. SO MY QUESTION TO ALL OF YOU VETERAN SHOOTERS, WHAT GOOD IS THIS GUN, IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO SHOOT IT IN INCLEMENT WEATHER, WON'T HAVE THE STOCK CUT SO IT FITS YOU? DO YOU AGREE WITH ME WHEN I SAID, THEN HANG IT ON A WALL! WHAT DO YOU THINK? i know it is his gun, but this seems ridiculous to me. I suggested that he purchase an 870, and shoot in all types of weather and you will probably have more fun. he said "I WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD SHOOTING A PIECE OF JUNK LIKE AN 870"! I STOPPED TALKING TO HIM, WHEN I REALIZED I WAS SPEAKING TO AN IDIOT AND A PRIMADONNA.
    steve balistreri

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Me and my junk Model 12 dont shoot in inclement weather either.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

That is the reason I bought my 31-TC, so I could shoot in the rain and not ruin my Mossberg 500.

Gne J

4. Nyttro

Nyttro TS Member

Why shoot in the rain? If you spend 7 too 15 thousand dollars for a fine Trap gun, would you shoot it in the rain? Hell NO you would not. That is an investment, not a Mossburg or camo Bennelli. Rust is the main problem, no matter what type of gun. I use hunting guns that are synthetic stocks and forearms, designed for rain and snow. A Kolar, Perazzi, Kraigoff, Beretta, they are for designed for nice weather shooting. Oh, you can use them in the rain and snow, I won't.

Nyttro

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Never shoot a nice[AND EXPENSIVE] gun in the rain! Unless, of course, you are a Rockafellow!

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

doda......And? .......Maybe you guys clean and reoil your guns right after shooting in the rain? If you do, you are the exception..........the other guys get rust in places they don't know about till later and after its to late.

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Rust is not the only potential problem from shooting in the rain. I've heard of numerous nice O/U's getting a split in the stock around the wrist area from the swelling of the wood due to it getting soaking wet.

I've heard that the best way to prevent the stock splitting if your gun gets soaking wet is to loosen the stock bolt and let the wood dry out slowly before reassembling the gun.

Easystreet

8. primer

primer TS Member

For years I hunted with my Parker AAHE in snow and rain for that is what it was made for. Like my Father use to say, if it gets hurt there is some one good out there to fix it.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Bullfrog.....I've done the same thing hunting, but we're talking Trap where you have a choice. I've used expensive and nice guns ,like yours,hunting, but I cleaned and oiled that sucker every night after. Then there's another school of thought about that also..........the school where the hunter just isn't concerned about the GUN....only the game!

10. TCB Mono

TCB Mono TS Member

Senior smoke, Whats wrong with you? If they won't shoot in the rain you already have them beat, without firing a shot. I just love it when someone won't shoot while its raining, TCB

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Bill.....you are a wise man!

12. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

My gun doesn't have sense enough to come in out of the rain. I do.

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I shoot my K80 Trap Special in the rain or shine. I don't take it in a downpour though. I also clean it and oil it quite throughly. If I didn't I might think of only shooting in pristine weather.

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello again: thanks for some great comments. back in the 80's i was shooting a 16 yd event at the grand american. suddenly heavy rains came, no real wind, just a terrible heavy amount of rain. there was no mention by officials to clear the line, most people shooting ran for cover. there was a full squad shooting a few traps to my right, they shot during this very heavy rain. some shooters said these guys were crazy shooting in this stuff. when the rain died down so you could see who these shooters were, they just happened to be, leo harrison, ray stafford, gene sears, pete mccall, brad dysinger. they didn't seem to care about their high priced guns, i'm sure they probably dropped a target durring this heavy rain, but most important, they showed maybe why these guys are considerd by most to be top shooters in the game.
    steve balistreri

15. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

870's are a perfect gun to shoot in the rain. They're cheap and when they rust, simply throw it away. The only thing worse than shooting an 870 is being a left-hander and shooting an 870...

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not like to shoot in the rain but my K-80 does not seem to mind the rain and it has shot a lot of shells in the rain.

I have put a finish on the inside of the forearm and where the butt joins the receiver. This helps protect the wood. I leave the gun outside of its case until it is dry.

Nyttro- You stated that a trap gun is an investment and should not be shot in the rain. Help me figure out how good my investment has preformed. I bought my K-80 nearly 25 years ago for about $5,500. I have spent ca. another $2,500 in upgrades (double release triggers, porting, PFS, minor repairs) and shot nearly 300,000 registered targets with the gun. To get a reasonable return (6%) of my investment and a return on my investment, I would need to be able to sell the gun for nearly $1,400,000. How do you think I am doing with my investment?

Pat Ireland

17. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

3-4 years ago at the Grand, I witnessed a couple bring her gun into a shop for some care. It was a beautiful engraved model 12 Win., and about the prettiest I had seen.

They walked into the back of the air conditioned shop with the owner.

About 30 minutes later, I walked back in on my way back thru.

The owner was giving them HE&* about the condition of the gun. It had taken him all this time to get it apart, and the rust was solid at the barrel assy., and the receiver. It looked ruined, but I didn't see it up close. No regular maintenance here, and it was her gun, so neither one seemed a bit concerned.

Too bad!

Danny

18. ZeroHero

ZeroHero TS Member

I don't sign up to shoot in the rain, but if it starts raining I will not scratch off and go home. I have shot many times in the rain and I can only hope and pray that my health and pocket book allow me to shoot in the rain many more times.

Duke

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife shoots her K-80 in the rain-I do not. Two sprinkles and I return to the safety of my vehicle and watch. She acts like it's a bright, sunny day while shooting during a tropical storm-I think she's nuts.

Must have something to do with playing Softball all those years that made her impervious to the weather. Of course, guess who cleans her gun!!

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Having the curse of knowing how to dry out my shotgun, I shoot if it starts to rain unless the dreaded lightning makes its presence known.

Usually someone has shot a better score before it started.

I guess I'm just stubborn.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.