1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Insurance??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OK_Shooter, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

I am looking for some gun insurance. I found a website for SIAI Sportsman's Insurance Agency Inc. The rates quoted there are $1.25 per $100, that seems reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with them or perhaps can recommend another company?

Thanks
    Phil

2. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

I added firearms insurance to my homeowners policy with Farmer's Insurance. Runs about .75 per 100.

3. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

my question is,my ins co. wil cover $4,000.00 worth of golf clubsbut the wont cover firearms without extra charge..whats the differance,sporting equipment is sporting equipment????

4. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

My insurance company does cover firearms up to $4000. I suspect each company has their own policies on firearms coverage. By the way, I made an error in my earlier cost for the insurance. I pay $76/year for an additional $10,000, so the cost is .75 per 1000 not 100 as I originally indicated. Gun insurance is like everything else, you have to shop around to find what works best for you. I think NRA also has an insurance policy available.

5. woodsman

woodsman TS Member

I have nationwide insurance and got a separate policy for my guns. Inland marine policy that covers the guns even if they are taken at a shoot. Price was very reasonable and gives me peace of mind.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

First, check your homeowner's policy - many cover firearms to some degree.

Next, check with your homeowner's company and see what they charge for coverage/additional coverage. Be sure they do NOT ask for serial numbers, etc.

Barring that check the NRA - they have insurance which does not ask for make/model/serial number. Further, by getting this insurance - say $10,000 of coverage - this covers any one time loss to that level. Be it 20 hand guns or two competition shotguns. Therefore if you have a LARGE number of guns, and feel your risk of loosing them all at one time is small you can insure for a lower level...

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Tommy67, that would be $7.60 per $1000 of coverage wouldn't it?

That's a very good rate.

8. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

Just curious...why should I be concerned if my homeowners insurance wants to have the serial #, etc. These are already on record with the feds from when I purchased them.

9. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Try SAFCO. i have mine with them and I dodnt believe that there is any limit. Its covered by your home owners for fire or theft. No extra charge. That is where I have mine and my agent say the above is true. alex

10. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

RickN...your figures are correct. The wife has me cutting back on caffiene, my thought processes have not recalibrated to the lack thereof. Thanks for the correction.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

OK shooter,

The feds do NOT have a list of your firearms - specifically denied so by law.

The form 4473 you filled out stays with the gun shop where you bought the gun. Under Clinton the ATF tried to collect this info from gun shops which had closed - claiming that it was not covered by the law. Under Bush this was reversed.

Your local/state police may have some record or not - depends on where you live. I live in PA - the police may keep the records for a limited time and then it must expunged - big lawsuit in the Pittsburgh area because the police were trying to keep these records after the expiration.

Try this on for size - you give the insurance company your firearms serial numbers only to have them reference a database of stolen firearms (shared by numerous companies?) and yours pop up as stolen - now what??

The less info you give out, the better.

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I use and recommend Sportmens (SIAI). My new trapgun is insured for REPLACEMENT cost. Since the gun is a current production gun, no appraisal was required. They (SIAI) know trapshooting and the policy they sold me knows the gun leaves the safe and goes shooting.

HSLDS - Maybe there is a carrier who would insure an $11,000.00 gun without knowing the details of the gun, but I would be suspicious and I would want to know what is in the fine print. Target shotguns do not stay at home in a safe. Just try getting your money out of one of those blanket policies if you ever have to make a claim.

So Tommy67, I live in Delaware, State Farm has all my insurance including firearms but they did not want anything to do with my new trapgun. State Farm ran like a bunny as soon as they found out that the new gun would go to trapshoots, stay in hotels, go on airplanes, be in the trunk, be in the back seat, be in a gun rack - etc, etc. What did you tell them? Are you insured for replacement costs?

13. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

Gary;
    I have all my coverage from State Farm in Illinois. I had to add a rider to cover the replacement cost on my Kolar. But it should be covered where ever it goes.
    Dave

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Thrillr - when I talked to my State Farm agent we went over gun details and then "they" got in touch with the underwriters and called me back. The detail was that I described the gun as a "competition shotgun". So the questions were "how often is the gun out of the safe, how long, where does it go, always under my control etc." So I told the girl what I could about trapshooting venues and she said they would get back to me with a quote in a couple of days. They did not get back to me. I called SIAI and was taken care of (you do have to give the make and serial number).

I think it is really scary that two people can go to the same company and get very different responses. I am happy I went to SIAI, they understand exactly what a "custom competition shotgun" is, the gun is covered out of town, in the back of the truck, in a plane, in a gun rack and there is no fine print on the coverage.

15. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I have my guns covered with a seperate rider on my Homeowners policy. It cost's about .78 per $100.00.

In my opinion I want them to have a full description and s/n of each gun including how much I paid for it, when I bought it, and from whom.

My thinking is that by doing that up front if something happens they have all of the information they need to process a claim with no questions asked.

I don't want them coming back if I were to have to file a claim and question how a "shotgun" could cost that much.

I have had this policy about 6 years and luckily have not had to file a claim.

Just my opinion.

Jerry Walker

16. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

SIAI

look at their web site

they know about guns

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Don't forget about Diana in KY. Not only does she KNOW guns, she shoots a K-80 from the back yard. :^))))

Good folk, great company. I have my Guntrainer Insurance with her.

18. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

ttt Good info here. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

siai gun insurance