1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Insurance policy experiences, anyone?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi_MX8, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I'm looking into an insurance policy to cover guns. My homeowners only covers to 1000.00 and would like to know more. I hate to add them to my policy because they want all the info and I don't want to be a target. Anyone at State Farm can see this in the data base. Has anyone had insurance and had the misfortune to have to use it? I can also get it from the NRA but I would like some guidance here. A wealth of experience is here and I'm sure others would like to know, too. I have a gun safe but I hate to rely on it alone.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

See link above.

3. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I have NRA insurance! I've had it for about 20 years and during that time I've had two claims - (1) had two Perazzi's, and SC-3 and an SCO, stolen from the trunk of my car at the California State Shoot. It took about 6 weeks after I filed all the paperwork to receive a check, and (2) I had a SCO Gold Perazzi Skeet Gun stolen from the rack at the Zone Skeet Shoot about 5 years later (I was standing within 10' of the gun with my back turned talking to someone) and I got that check in about 3 weeks after I filed the paperwork.

The only thing that irked me was the first time several different people call asking if I could take a photo of the missing guns - they seemed suprised I couldn't. I do, however, now have detailed photos, including serial numbers and the date I took them that I keep on file - just in case.

As I recall the insurance is 1.25% of the insured value.

4. drgondog

drgondog Member

I recommend USAA beyond a simple 'good company'.

I've had four pistols and two shotguns stolen - the Latter and SHO Perazzi and a Flli Rizzini R2. Both re-imbursed at replacement cost. One of those was stolen on a hunting trip and the airline (United) balked at the claim - despite serial number and description on Customs Form. My USAA Travel insurance covered this as it was an UNITEMIZED item in my Homeowners Insurance.

I could go into a long litany of auto and home challenges over 45 years but I will close with

They are the best

Regards,

Bill Marshall

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I second what Bill said. USAA is simply fantastic. You have to be a vet or active military or have a family member that is.

6. dzneff

dzneff Member

I have carried gun insurance since about 1978. Had only 1 claim in that time. In 2008, I purchased a new Ceasar Guerini Summit combo. I stumbled on some concrete steps leaving a trap field striking my 3 mo. old new unsingle damaging the rib and stock. I was carrying NRA Approved gun insurance at the time. The repair bill including replacing the rib was $1,120 and I was reimbursed for the amount less $100. deductable. I have since switched my gun insurance to Sportsman's Insurance Agency, Inc. Our Gun Club also carries SIAI liability coverage which gives a very favorable discount to gun clubs holding ATA Registered shoots.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anyone file siai gun insurance claims