1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Holder for Golf Carts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigJohn270, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I am converting a golf cart into a clays cart and would like to know what type of gun rest/mount is best.
    I have seen some that look like they could/would rub the bluing off after a little while.

Thanks
    John

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of designing one myself and will use an old San Angelo gun cradle to hold my guns. I will like the gun rests with moleskin or felt or something soft that won't damage the guns.

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

These are from Rugged Gear, I use them on both of my carts. They can be adjusted to fit in many areas and at any angle.

Andy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I work on more sporting clays guns than any others, due to my location. The number one cause of gun damage that I see day in and day out is cart damage. Whatever you come up with, make sure that your pad is not sitting on a single round bar and that you can SECURELY retain your gun without damage to the wood finish or bluing. I've seen a lot more than one gun that has bounced down the trail and a few that were run over by the owner when they popped out and hit right in front of the speeding cart. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a sporting clays shoot or a Nascar race...lol!!!

Ken Rucker

5. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

ljutic73

have you got any pictures of what you are working on?

thanks

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

not yet...still in the design/thinking it out phase, but will try to post when I do...

7. George Steffes

George Steffes TS Member

check out cabela's for one the stock sits in rubber and same for the barrel.

George

8. smallgroups

smallgroups Member

Take a look at ScabbardTech.com. We have used their scabbards for about 4 years and have had nothing but great success with them. They protect the shotgun from falling out, have straps to secure them if in doubt and also protect the stock and receiver from any damage that might occur from rocks thrown up by the tires of a cart. We originally bought from Dixie Custom Wagons as Nonel provides an aluminum angle about 4"x3"x24" long for attachment to the cart and to protect the scabbard. Have since fabricated similar angles that are wide enough to hold two scabbards side by side. Follow this link for a picture of the scabbards: http://www.dixiecustomwagons.com/accessories/photos/photo.php?pic_number=1216078229.jpg

My only advise for using them would be to always insert the trigger guard to the bottom of the scabbard as there are screwheads that can ding your rib if inserted the other way.

Charlie

9. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Got one from Bass-Pro. Looks like many of the others.

However I decided to mount mine on the front of the cart. I had mine mounted in a rear mount position on a friend's golf cart and it was quickly covered in grit and dust from the road. I find in the front it stay cleaner. There is much less dust.

Grit is a BIG ENEMY of guns!!!

BTW this rig gets me around almost as quick as that Razor. And with six wheel drive I never get stuck. I can also carry two guns in Polaris/Kolpin cases for hunting. SC Courses only allow guns carried in vertical positions.

I use one box in the rear for a cooler and the other holds shells and accessories.

Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

John, check your PM.

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

Marplot:

The first cart I owned was a Polaris 6x6. It threw back a lot more dirt and did a number on the turf. BTW, there's no way you can keep up with the RZR. ;-)

12. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Andy, how fast does that thing go?

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

Over 65 MPH

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I went down to my local ATV dealer and bought a set of the gun holders they use for across the handlebars of the ATV. Totally adjustable to any situation. The inside radius is very deeply finned with a very soft rubber and the gun is held in place with a heavy duty rubber strap that goes across the gun to hold it in place. The entire system is rubber coated to prevent shock and rubbing, and there is no way you can hurt the gun while it's in this rack set-up. I would bet you could roll an ATV over and the gun would still be securely held in place. I used a pair of these to replace the cheesey gun cradles that came with my "Rugged Gear" cart. They were useless, with velcro straps used to secure the gun. The cradle was simply a piece of bent metal that had a piece of rubber glued to the inside of the radius for protection. Total cost to convert to the more secure ones was less than $40.00....... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Andy,

True about not keeping up with a RZR, but the guy I got mine from pulled a few of them out of the mud :).

We all have our preferences. I like the wider seat, wider track, easier to get in and out, as well as the traction! I looked at RZRs also. Just liked the 6x6 better.

Speaking of track, did you get the 60" wide or the 48"?

You like the speed and maneuverability. Mine does make a bigger circle to turn around! They are both good rides, we just have different preferences.

16. andybull

andybull Active Member

The track is around 50", It is just over the allowed width limit allowed at some off road trails in public parks. For ease of seating and width I use a lifted Kubota RTV.
    [​IMG]

17. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Whoa Andy! You have a couple of nice rides! Congrats!

Bill
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fabricated sporting clays kubota
golf cart gun holder
golf cart gun holders
golf cart shotgun holder
gun rest for front of polaris atv

shotgun holders for golf carts

sporting clay gun holders for golf carts