1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Hold, Tight, Snug, or Loose

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Gun Hold should you hold it tight, snug or loose? What are your results?
    I find if I hold the gun loose I tend to whip it and not have control.
    Snug gives much better results, how about you.
    Holding it tight works also. I have a shooter I am working with and she tends to whip the gun, this is a new gun and factory told her to hold it loose.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I shoot better scores when I hold my buttstock tightly against my chest with my trigger hand. I don't know if I'm doing it right, but it works for me.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Recurvy thanks this is a lady shooter and last night was the first time she shot her new gun, that was proffessionally fitted to her by the mfgr. They told her to hold it loose. She shoots it better when held tighter I will call it snug, when holding it loose she seems to whip it or it moves out of control.

She will be trying it today on the 16 yd line on post 3 on straight aways to get accustomed to the POI.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Kolar 309 - 2

Kolar 309 - 2 Member

I hold my gun tight if I don't I push the gun away from my cheek on hard right hand birds. Reaiiy bad on doubles. Charlie.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have never heard of holding a loose gun and I am in my 60's.

I hold the forearm firm and the stock tight against my shoulder. I use a tight grip on the pistol grip and torque the comb into my cheek. There is a little spot on my cheek into which the comb just naturally seems to fit.

After I mount the gun and pull the gun to my shoulder, I raise the comb to my cheek, apply pressure to the pistol grip, check bead alignment and focus my eyes into the target area. I do not see the beads when I shoot.

I hold the gun below the house and see the bird well before I make a steady move to the target. The tight pressure on my cheek helps me "stay in he gun."

I used to shoot with a faster timing but now I have become more deliberate. With the fast timing, I would sometimes swing over or past the bird and miss, especially in the last 75 birds or so when I would become tired. I started missing two and three targets in a row without understanding what I was doing wrong.

My scores had dropped off in the past year but I am back to shooting 24's and 25's and have more confidence in my swing. I break targets a little further out but they still smoke if I center them. I use an extra full choke and shoot 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 dram 7 1/2's. I know that this load will break targets at long distances so I am not worried about the bird getting too far out, especially in the wind.

The issue now is to stay focused and to shoot one bird at a time.

Also, all shooters, especially new shooters, should work on having a comfortable and stable stance. IMO you cannot shoot well if you are off balance.

A loose hold would not work for me.

Ed Ward

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the reason for the beavertail forearm is to keep you from having a "too tight" grip on the forepiece. One of the best shooters in our area holds the forepiece with his hand open when he calls for the bird, then closes it gently as he swings the gun to the target. this type of form would not necessarily keep you from having firm hold with your trigger hand, and good pressure against your shoulder. Bill in MI

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

well,being new to the sport,my opinion may not matter,but,I found if I held gun loose,there were actually times I allowed the barrel to drop just as I was pulling the trigger,created a miss,so I hold it snug,tight ,whatever the language you care to use.

Doug H.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I hold my gun (both hands) between tight and very tight. I seem to have more control of the gun and a good tight grip with your hands will absorb much recoil.

Pat Ireland

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Kay Ohye often suggests a death grip!!

10. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

One of the first things Nora Ross changed with the way I shoot was to pull the gun tighter into my shoulder while moving my head closer to the reciever.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Tight grip, tight controlled moves.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

what shannon391 said +1

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Doc makes a good point. Kiner Agrees that a tight gun is proper. If I hold it too tight I irritate my left arthritic shoulder. Too long a gun does that to me too. So, I am a in-betweener

mia_2008_03035.jpg

mia_2008_03036.jpg

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Get those elbows up, MIA

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do hold the gun very tight but I can assure you that one can still flinch and feel recoil with a tight grip.

Pat Ireland

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trapboy1957- I would be pleased to take a lesson from you.

Pat Ireland

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Pat:

I agree with you but did not Rudy Etchen use a special pistol grip that he designed which allowed a tighter grip?

Ed Ward

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I also prefer tight grip everywhere, and also push my cheek on the stock. I know I will not lift my head, while also this helps with the movment coming from my hips and not the arms. More consistant shooting will be the result. I believe that if you concentrate on the tight forend grip it will reduce flinch also. This may take a while but it does work.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I messed up bigtime Sunday with death grip on forend. I lossened up grip (after figuring out and laughing what I did wrong, this, after 125 competitive shots in league) and had much more fluid moves to the bird..try and hold the right hand, my trigger hand, firmly and like a nice filling palm swell.

Is this not the "classic" way taught by D. Lee Braun? He promoted holding the forend like a cartoon of eggs...gently, it is really mostly for support, not to guide the gun. Sometimes I think I am a very mediocre trapshooter because trapshooting is counter intuitive and one little fundamental error gives a bad day...on days when one does all or most of the fundamental things right, oh what a pleasure with a nice outcome.

20. JES

JES Member

I am a lady shooter, right handed. I call it stabilizing, I use the left fairly tight to keep it into my shoulder and use the right hand for control. Works for me, loose never did work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how tight do you hold a handgun while shooting

should shotgun be held tight for trap shooting

should you stay loose while shooting handguns

when shooting a handgun how tight do you hold the gun and do the elbows stay loose