1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun hold, middle of house???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I was listening to an older gentleman explain to a new shooter that he wanted him to hold his gun on the roof of the house, and at the middle of it on each post. Said it would smooth the swing out, and make it easier for straight-aways. I remember hearing this years ago, but didn't think anybody still advised it. Do any of you hold on the middle, or have you in the past? Wayne

2. dhip

dhip Active Member

Only on post 3

Doug H.

3. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Rumor has it that one of the top national shooters holds over the middle and above the rim of the house on all posts. He "shoots the flash" of the bird as it comes out, using a more open choke, kind of like many shoot the first bird of a doubles pair. He makes a quick but short lateral move toward the target, depending on how off-center the bird appears.

Sounds impossible.

...to each his own.

bluedsteel

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you are a two-eyed shooter, download or at least look at the Gun Holds on my above website.

Whiz White

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I hold on the middle of the roof on all posts.

John C. Saubak

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Whiz White,

Very interesting, the hold points and look area is very close to what I found works for me. Only thing that is different is holding for the straight away on post 3 works better for me.

Jason

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Listen to Whiz...and if you can, take a clinic from someone who will build on your strengths, like Britt Robinson...

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Whiz White

I think your pictures of hold points are right on,with one expection,I reverse them, I am left handed.For a one eye shooter all I would do is drop the hold to the front edge of the house

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am a one eyed shooter and I do not hold in the middle of the house. When I shoot I try to hold in the middle of the bird. I can do that on 90 of the birds and get lucky on five or six more, but then things get tough.

Pat Ireland

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Whiz White / Jim Forsbach / D. Lee Braun system is the only method that works for me. I get my gun hold to favor the right hand target and my foot position to allow an easy swing to the left hand targets. The Frank Little / Hiram Bradley center holds never ever worked for me.

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

N.J. Bob: Please explain exactly what you mean by "reversing them". I to am a left handed shooter. Dave T.

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I was taught by my coach to hold middle on 1 and 2 then slightly off to the right on 3 then back to middle on 4 and inbetween the middle and the right corner on 5 been working well.

As to all advice tho it only works if you stick with it and are consistant, once you got it then tweek it a bit to fit yourself.

Jerry

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like whiz's way, been doing it for 40 + years and still miss alot

14. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I like on post 1 to hold about 1/2 way between left corner of traphouse and the center. Then, post 2 hold at the center, Post 3 about 1/2 way between center and right corner, Post 4 right corner and Post 5 a little to the right of the right corner.

I am right handed and I shoot both eyes open and look slightly under the barrel when I call for the target. Oh, and usually I hold a rather high gun--about where the targets "peak" or slightly lower.

I don't know what the "experts" say about the above, but it seems to work for me.

Allen

15. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

DTrykow

Look at the hold points for post 1 and post 5 they are for a right hand shooter. On post 1 I hole off the front corner and for post 5 on the front corner.On post 3 I hold left of center.

Please look at the pictures again...

16. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Isn't holding on the middle of the house form each post basically "protecting the straight-aways" and "predictable" angles? If not mistaken, this method was used by Frank Little (not too shabby a shooter)and taught by & discussed in his book. I believe the thought is that from posts 1 & 2 you have either a straight-away or a left hand angle target and from posts 4 & 5 it is a straight-away or a right hand angle target. Post 3 is an off center hold and random angles.

I have used this method, albeit it took time and practice, since reading the Little book years ago and find it the best for me. Also, I find it more effective with a "high gun" hold. The method requires far less gun movement.

JMHO

Jim C

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jim, yes but you must remember, the angles have changed too since Franks days?

Stations I and 5 are all angle targets according to the angle guidelines of ATA set targets of 17.x degrees from center. You can only have true straights at 2-3 and 4. Misread a target by 6 to 12 inches and miss by a milermore? To see a straight from 1 or 5, you must step toward the center about 3 feet from either post!

Straight aways from 1 and 5 were 44 degree plus angles. The plus was to account for a worn 3 hole pin settings in the old Winchester handsets! That addition to the old rule was about 10 degrees and still be a legal target. On the well worn handsets, you'd actually have to lead a left off 5 or a right off 1 sometimes!!

Hap

18. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Hap,

That is interesting. I hadn't shot in quite some time until recently. I used the same technique and didn't notice the difference in target angle on post 1 & 5. I guess I was too focused on the targets to notice.....lol

Thanks for the info.

Jim C

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You are welcome Jim! Little things add up and the top shots in the country use every nook and cranny of knowledge mixed with skill to shoot consistently.

Hap

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Hap, good info, but even if we have went from 22 degrees to 17.5, I'm still not sure you get a true straight-away from 2 and 4. Yes on 3. Wouldn't 2 and 4 still have a slight angle? I see more people miss the "straight-aways" from 2 and 4 because they jump on the target to quick, and miss that slight angle. Thanks, Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.