1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun grease

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kyle, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyle

kyle TS Member

i have been using krieghoff gun glide for several years on my k-80 but I am running out. I used to use this red grease that came in a syringe it may have been made by shooters choice. Any way the reason I quit using the red grease was, well because it was red. If it got on clothes, towels, etc. it would stain them. I did however like its thickness, similar to the krieghoff gun glide, and that it came in a syrenge which made for less waste and I could put it exactly where I wanted it. I was wanting to know it any one knew of a thick, tan or gold or some color that will not make a mess when I go to wipe it off grease that also comes in a syrenge?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Montana Extreme comes in a syringe and has a higher melting point than Shooter's Choice and that's why I switched to it. But, alas, it's blue so that doesn't meet your requirements. However, since it doesn't melt easily it shouldn't get all over everything. I don't have a problem with it in my K80.

You could always find a different color grease that comes in some other type of container and reload your syringe with that.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Try Slicker Than Owl's Shit (STOS)

Jason

4. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

I have STOS in an injector on my web sight. It is not colored (Opaque) won't run off and holds up great in hot weather. $6.00 plus mailing.

5. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Go to your closest farm supply store. 14 ounce tubes run about $1.50 to $4. Number 2 is the thicker. They generally have green, red, tan. You don't need high speed or high heat resistance. One of Mama's empty fingernail polish bottles work great, brush and all. Keep it thin, just a film to keep dust abrasion down. When they ask you about the fingernail polish bottle, you can always say you don't go anywhere without your favorite shade of muave.

6. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Jim
    You may want to give some directions for your web site ..
    I had to poke around a bit to find it..
    I bought some from you in Palatka and it works well !

ernie

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I contend that there is actually no lubricant specifically designed for use on shotguns. There are many fine lubricants made to specific specifications that will work in many different applications. The lubricating requirements for shotguns are minimal and just about any lube will work as long as it is kept clean. I like Gator Tears because it comes in a package that conveniently fits in my gun case. The large tube of general purpose grease that Wall Mart sells for $1.50 will work just as well but the tube does not fit into my gun case well and I don't want to carry a grease gun with me.

Pat Ireland

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A really good gun grease is SuperLUbe-it works in the marine environment, so gun protection is a no brainer-its available at Ace & Truvalue hardware stores, clear, clean, will work in any gun environment.

Phil Berkowitz

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Put some STP in a syringe. It's clear, slicker than a minnow's tool, and a friction reducer. 1 bottle will darn near last a lifetime. SIDE EFFECTS;... You will have the sudden urge to wear sunglasses, a big cowboy hat, and drive a Dodge at Daytona, and paint your gun case Petty blue and red..LOL

10. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I use the Gator tears and Swamp Slime as well. However if you put your nose to it, the Swamp Slime smells and looks just like wheel bearing grease...and the Gator Tears smells and looks just like some 90 weight oil I've got at home.

I would wager that the guy that originated the Gator Tears and Swamp Slime thought "wow, if I take this big old container of wheel bearing grease and scoop it out and stuff it into these here little jars, I could sell it as gun lube and they would pay a bunch for it".

11. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Just get one of these gizmos at PETCO for 3 bucks. Pull the plunger and fill it from your grease gun.....half way, or one third or whatever length works for the place you want to stash it in your gun case. I used a little rubber automotive vacuum line cap that was laying around to prevent accidental discharge. Stuff it in a zip-lock for safety and you're good to go.

12. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use G.I. rifle grease on all my o/u shotguns. If it is good enough to work on the M1 Garand and the M14, then it will work on my shotguns. I carry the little plastic jars in my shooting bag and have a quart can in my gun room.
    Fred Wiedemann

13. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

Dupont Krytox. The best gun grease in the world!

emm2 thanked this.
  14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Synthetics because they don't soak into your wood or stain your clothes. SuperLube or ViperLube are the ones I know of.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

CMD...

Recommended and offered with Kolar Guns... use it for my 90T and others...

There was someone selling tubes of CMD on here last year,

regards all,

Jay

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"Dupont Krytox. The best gun grease in the world!"</I>

Yup! Now all you have to do is figure out which of the 2 dozen or so varieties is right for your gun... and at $10/oz and up (way up) it gets expensive to just guess.

I'll stick with Lubriplate 630 AA.

MK

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

atashooter- One of my requirements for a good lube is that it must be able to be cleaned off of the gun easily. STP is very difficult to clean off.

Pat Ireland

18. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

For all you that want a squeezee aplicator, Tetra-Gun makes a good teflon grease in a tube. (made for guns!?) I use Superlube and will likely never run out of the stick I have. I shun sticky, tacky or stiff grease. Prefer oily, buttery wet N slippery consistency. A #1 like 630AA is very good. And it comes in a bigger tube!

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Just a comment on the use of STP as a gun lube...

STP is not a lubricant; it is a viscosity index improver. It feels slippery because it's too thick to easily squeeze out from between the fingers

When added to oil it strings the oil molecules together while THEY do the lubricating. STP will quickly fail any lubrication load test it's subjected to.

MK

Skelly562 thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best lube for krieghoff k80
k80 gun grease
kolar gun grease

krieghoff gun glide

krieghoff gun glide grease
lube points k 80
stos gun grease