1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Grease

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr Earl, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Earl

Mr Earl Member

I am grateful for all the info that was sent (discussed) regarding the used of a bore snake and what gun oil to use. The guys I shoot with appreciate your recommendations too.

Next question is regarding grease. In addition to oil what type/kind of grease should be used, how much and how often. Thanks in advance for your advice. Respectfully, Mr Earl

OBW - Anyone know how to recall any or all reports from the TECHNOID ?? I have found his numerous reports to be very useful. I am not a fan of the new www site for the Shotgun Report/Technoid, Bruce Buck -- Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Any lithium based grease is fine.
    Some people will only used molybdenum grease because it has the best properties for lubrication and longevity but if you clean and re-grease as often as I do the cheaper regular high temp lithium base works fine.
    I've previously used products like Tetra Gun but there is not real difference in wear. Lets face it, fouling contaminates any grease, you need to clean it and replace it often regardless of how good the grease is rated.
    You can spend $9.00 on a 10CC portion of specialized gun grease and use all of it every time you clean your gun or $3.50 at your nearest Advanced / Western Auto and get 1 lb of Warren Coastal that will last until its time for you to take the big dirt nap.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Cleanliness is the most important thing of all. Virtually any grease or heavy oil will work but clean it off after every use and use fresh clean grease each time. I use Shooters Choice in the syringe mostly for the ease of application..

4. RJ

RJ TS Member

Lithium is my fav. I use a thin coat of white on all the slide areas and I have a dark lithium I use on my 1100's where the barrel inserts into the receiver. I took some advice on this awhile back and found the person to be right with how it works. I haven't had any more wear spots on the backside of the tang that goes into the receiver. Keep a thin dose all along this and chances for fine cracks won't show up and bluing wear diminishes. Where before I was just putting this together after cleaning and oiling and going on about my business. After I received this info I started paying attention to the bluing wear between the barrel tang and the receiver area where this tang goes into had not changed. Do the same with my 870's also. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too say just about any grease made for a gun (for high temps) will work fine as I only use it for the one day and wipe all grease off at the end of the day to keep the dirt built up off. I like to use the grease in a syringe as well. I can find the choke type type at most places and it work fine for both chokes and pivit points of a break open type gun. Break-em all. Jeff

7. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I really like the Weapon Shield grease. It is lithium based and smells like cinnamon. I use it everytime I put my K-32 together and typically wipe it off on disassembly. Mostly so that any sand, grit, etc. is not collected in the areas where I put the grease.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The stuff Shooting Coach sells, CMD Lube, is very good. It's surprising how little you have to use. It goes a long way.

Wayne

9. Duck

Duck Member

Super Lube 3oz. tube of synthetic grease. Most hardware stores and plumbing supply stores stock it.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The most important thing about whatever grease you buy..is ability to keep it with you.. in your guncase.. and use it everytime you shoot.. after cleaning the old stuff off with mineral sprits.. or WD40..which is over 50% solvent..and disolves grease readily.. The CMD Shooting Coach sold me.. works well.. But the best test I gave it was on a roof ventalator..I greases the bearings about 3 or 4 years ago with it.. It's in the weather 24/7.. Still perfect.. It worked as good as anything I've ever used on my Perazzi's and Seitz.. and the tube is small and compact.. Fits inside any forend.. when you put your gun away.. All Good.. Mike

11. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Before using Krytox, unless the formula has been changed, I would read the MSDS information on this product. My co-workers and I used this excellent quality high temp grease to lubricate the journals on rotating steam vessals in the cardboard manufacturing plant we worked at here in Omaha. The product worked wonderfully for our purpose but the manufacturers instructions were very clear in stating that contact with bare skin should be avoided. Neil Swenson

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Before using Krytox, unless the formula has been changed, I would read the MSDS information on this product....the manufacturers instructions were very clear in stating that contact with bare skin should be avoided."</I></blockquote>There are more than a half-dozen grades of Krytox (including a food safe version) There's very little in the Krytox GPL (#20X) grade to change; they're compounded of only fluorine, oxygen and carbon (the PTFE oils they contain are non-toxic). They're chemically inert and contain no flammables, metals or other additives.

Other grades of Krytox (eg. the #21X, #22X and #24X series) contain additional ingredients for corrosion protection, extreme pressure conditions, or antiwear improvement. If you're using one of these, you may well be at more risk for skin irritation than I am with the GPL #205 grade pictured above (which is pretty much "0" risk) hence the caution issued by DuPont.

<center> View attachment 245428
    www.idealvac.com/files/brochures/Krytox_LVP_Grease_MSDS.pdf</center>

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.