1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN GLOVES RUSTING MY GUN..??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Actually its my daughters Perazzi.. I bought her a pair of Gun Gloves to shoot in.. Sometimes its late when we get in and I put my gun cleaning off until the next morning, when I take her gun out the trigger and guard, the area right under the barrel lever and the barrel just past the forearm will be terribly rusted.. I dont know what these gloves are treated with but it has taken the blueing off of the barrel.. When I start cleaning it these areas are rusted and "gummy" at the same time.. Is there anything I can spray or rub on the gloves to keep them from attacking the metal? thanks!

2. oz

oz Active Member

put your gun on a leather chair ror a couple of hours and see the rust. leather is cured with SALTS. always wipe down with a clp or good gun oil. oz

3. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

Get some cloth shooting gloves spray lightly with your favorite rust preventor and bingo you have solved the problem.

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I and many of my aquaintence use Gun Gloves with a wide variety of guns from vintage SxS to modern competition OU's.

To my knowledge, none have experienced any issues of the gloves inducing rust.

This is very surprising to me and I would look to the individual pair of gloves for an answer before looking at Gun Gloves in general given how commonly they are used without problem.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I might be wrong here, but it sounds to me like she got something on her gloves somewhere during the winter. You really do need to wipe down the gun (rem oil wipes) before you put it in the case before you leave for home. This will help solve your problem if you don't want to really clean gun until the next day. Oh Yeh, wash, or replace her gloves. break-em all. Jeff

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

It is not the gloves. My wife and I use them throughout the fall and winter.

It is the neglect of not wiping down the firearm after use.

Guy Babin

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

GAry,

What did I say?????????

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Guy nailed it in the bullseye. Bad practice putting a gun away without at least wiping it down. I may not always clean them right away but they are always wiped with Rem Oil before they hit the case and again when they hit the cabinet/safe. My son and i both wear gun gloves and have never had an issue with rust. It ain't her gloves. Just say'n.................

9. shrek

shrek Active Member

It could be possible to get salts on the gun gloves from wiping sweat off her face, forehead, brow while wearing the gloves during shooting...

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

It may not be the gloves but.. when we shoot our weekly trap league.. my wife, my daughter and myself.. hers is the only gun with "gummy" rust.. my CG, and my wifes BT99 are not affected.. my wife nor myself wear Gun Gloves....... thanks!

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The main cause of the rust I suspect ..is that Perazzis are mostly made from recycled Fiats

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

that right there my friend is very f'ing funny!

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I use to wash my gloves in mineral sprits.. then slowly dry.. then treat with a very light gun oil.. My hands sweat so much.my gloves use to become salt laden.. I changed over to cotton gloves and washed them regularly.. my problem went away..

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I been using Gun Gloves for years. No problem. Just wash them at lease two times a year. Add a light spray of gun oil and you are good to go.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wear a couple of pair of old white sox when I'm done shooting and spray my guns with silicone and wipe them down. I also run a wet swob down the barrels and they're good to go even if I don't get around to thoroughly cleaning them till next week. I've been doing it this way for 20+ years without any problems. Also I shoot all Brownings the supposed "guns that rust before you get home".

16. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Just throw the gun gloves in the wash with the t-shirts etc.. I always wipe down my gun with oil before I head home. All the oil on the gun ends up on my gloves. So no need to oil the gloves. Just wash once a month or so.
    Todd

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I shoot a Beretta 687 and wear a "gun-glove" on my left hand, can't remember the last time I wiped down my gun. No rust..........

Maybe Beretta's are made out of better steel than Perazzi's?

18. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Try silicone spray on the gun and the gloves. Been using silicone spray on guns for 30 years, no problems. Jim

19. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Anyone ever hear of 'acid hands'? Being a retired machinist, I have seen persons in the trade that would share machinists tools around the clock, and only one of the three that normally used these tools had to be concerned with wiping them to prevent rust. If that person did not work a particular shift, the tools did not rust, and did not need to be wiped off. This is not that uncommon either. I would think this could be a possibility in this gun rust problem too. Sam

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Tell your Daughter to take the gloves of before she eats those potato chips. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.