1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun FRIENDLY States?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm looking for some places to hang out in a semi-retirement sort of way. Which states would you recommend I put on my list? Weather is always a concern, but fairly far down on my list of criteria. I reside in Illinois - OMG - and I'm not planning to move completely, and I'm not planning to retire until I can no longer do the job. I'm looking for places where I can engage in shotgun sports and find time to put my feet up and enjoy a cigar and a glass of bourbon. It would be best if I could drive there in a couple of days. I am not fond of air travel.

Larry

Grandpa's Arms, Inc.
    http://www.grandpasarms.com
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

How about PA, hear they are pretty friendly to gun-owners. Although coming from NJ, pretty much any other state is better.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Come to Florida. You can shoot trap all winter with us. Yesterday it was 80, Today it is 70.

4. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

You just about own anything in Alaska and have high capacity magazines too!!!!

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

He can have high capacity magazines here in IL and just about any guns except for Class III.

............................................................................................

Larry,

If you are not concerned with weather, find a spot down here in the southern part of the state. Alot more places to shoot down here and much much more gun friendly than where you are at.

I however would move to Florida or Texas if i was going to move out of State.

6. 3357

3357 Member

Look at North Dakota.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There's AZ and then there's AZ as I put my pistoly in my pocket without needing a carry permit from the gubment.

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I would say VA....but only if you live anywhere except the northern part of the state (the traffic congestion is hell as you live closer to DC). Class 3 friendly, hi cap mags are no problem, "shall issue" state with respect to CCW permit.

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

Wyoming is a very gun friendly state. Concealed carry without a permit if you choose. Class 3 okay if you can own them. We do have cold winters but very few tornado's, small earthquakes sometimes, low rainfall - no floods. We have been known to drink more than other states and cigars aren't outlawed. We have trap, skeet, sporting clays, and 5-stand. Come see us in the summer. We seldon get to 100 degrees.

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

forgot to add....you should also look at states that are friendly to allowing personal online orders of ammo. Some retailers won't ship to certain states because of the states' restrictions of online ammo order sales. If you shoot a "niche" caliber like .41 mag, this could be a problem. VA has a lot of gunshops but very very few carry .41 mag or have a variety selection of .41 mag ammo.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

shooting niche ammo is also very expensive, cheaper and easier to just reload the stuff....

PS - I REALLY like my model 57.

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Don't come to MT. At almost a million people it's getting crowded here.

Rick in MT

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Florida is your best bet. One major reason is TAXES. We do not have a state income tax!

Tom

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Come to Michigan, We've got wings on our helmets!

15. grntitan

BigM that's one hell of a pitch. How often does that work?

16. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

Give South Carolina consideration, especially the upstate. We have mostly warm weather but we have all four seasons. We even have a sales tax free week end to buy guns.

17. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Just a suggestion, but you might consider coming to the Silver Dollar for the Dixie Grand at the end of January. If that's too soon, the Southern Grand and Florida State Shoot start in mid-March.

Spend a week or two, see if you like the area, the folks at the Dollar (shooters and staff) and check out the homes for sale (lots of older folks selling their second homes).

I like it, and there are a number of clubs fairly close by-Robinson Ranch and Sarasota come to mind. Robinson Ranch is one of my favorite places to shoot, but it is much smaller and has far fewer shoots than the Dollar.

Bob

18. shark1

shark1 Member

New Jersey. Oh sorry. SC is a very good state, Don't forget NC. Mike Sharkey, DC

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Florida is a good choice, pretty gun friendly here.

20. grntitan

391 shooter,

Yeah but does Florida have a city full of corrupt politicians??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.