1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN for the wife

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Champ2552, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Champ2552

Champ2552 TS Member

I'm looking into buying my wife her own trap gun. she is using my BT-99 with 34" barrel right now. I was thinking about the BT-99 Micro with 30" barrel.

Any advise would be helpful....also would she be able to shot from the 27 with this gun.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was trying to get a gun for my wife, only offer I had was an old JC Higgins that needed a firing pin so I kept the wife at least she can cook and do the dishes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

BT-99 is a good gun - got one for my girlfriend. Only problem is doubles if she ever wants to do that. Or Sporting Clays/Skeet.

Now she wants to shoot one of my older K guns because she thinks a more expensive gun is better but she shoots the BT far better.

Another good choice is the Beretta 3901 or 391.

Any gun will take you to the 27 if it fits you and throws a decent pattern.

Don Verna (still on the 24 with a K gun)

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

If you get a gun for your wife that probably means you will not have to sneak it into the house like the rest of your guns.

Lou

5. Champ2552

Champ2552 TS Member

She has a 28" O/U that she uses when we go bird hunting.....so she can use that for any other clays game.

6. pdq

pdq Member

My wife doesn't shoot, but since she gives me presents of things she wants, to date I've bought her a BT-99, a TM1 Special, a Ljutic, and a Silver Seitz. And, to reduce her time committments, I also shoot them for her, clean them for her, and buy shells for her.

She's very happy I do so much for her.

Pete

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, my Wife bought me the Perazzi's, then I found out she put a Krieghoff on her finger!!

8. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

You have a wife with O/U that SHE uses for bird hunting.

What's wrong with you that you need to ask us.

Get a woman like that any gun she wants!!!

Lou

9. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Take her to the gun store, a nice gun store, where she can get her hands on as many different makes she likes, she will know what feels right and what does not.
    Being unexperienced it took awhile for me to find the right gun, and I understand the what if she wants doubles.
    Nothing wrong using an over under trap gun. I found I could use my Cynergy Trap OU for that and could adjust using the under for all but # 5 and # 1 posts, which I use the upper and seems to help me. Its like a dress, we can look at them, but we want to handle them and try them. Would you guys send your wife after golf shoes without trying them on first to know if you like them?

I suggest a combo if you can find one, reasonably, try used first and let her see how much she likes them or uses it. Make sure she gets it fitted to HER...

10. gotbass

gotbass Member

I'm sorry - I read " Its like a dress, we like to look under them..." I did not look at the gender of the poster. I thought, yeah that's right. Then I thought, wow we are admitting looking under dresses, I had better look at that thread again. Silly me, can't read, my bad. Time for bed. Have a good clean week end every one. By the way good advise about getting your wife a gun she likes.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Good thing they're not like shoes...I'd need at least 50 pair, they'd have to look good, and some of them would be really uncomfortable if used for more than half an hour.

12. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just one thing to remember, if you get her a new gun. Just make sure that you get her one that won't make her butt look too big.

13. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Serious response...

IMHO, it should be her choice, but YOUR suggestion. A Lady that I often shoot with just bought a KX-5. Its a lighter gun, that she can handle well...and despite its light weight, she does not find the recoil to be an issue at all. Go ahead and spend the money. The more she shoots it, the more she will appreciate your great recommendation..and that can't be bad!

WNCRob

14. Randy P

Randy P Member

Go to your local club and have her shoot as many different guns as she can. My wife started off with a BT 100, shot pretty well. This summer I had to go away to work all summer, she continued to shoot in our local club in Pa., with my KX 5, now it is hers!! Her scores improved. I am now gun hunting and shooting all the different types.

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I purchased several different guns for my wife then settled on a Kolar combo with a PFS. She is becoming a force to be dealt with! Jake

16. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I have a Beretta 680 o/u in great shape that has been cut down for a women. Gragcoil adj. pad soft adj. comb, ported pretty wood and in 95 or better shape. Would like $1300.00 for the gun. If you are interested I will be selling it the end of next month.

17. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

You didn't mention her scores...I started with a bt99 now I shoot an ultra How tall is she and does it fit her... They are a reliable gun.. If it fits stick with it ... IT will shoot from the 27 I promise!!!

18. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

I have bought guns for my wife but I think it is bad for my health to show her how to load them.

19. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have both a Micro 30" and a 3901 Beretta that I shoot. While both have the shortened LOP, the Micro has a regular size pistol grip. The 3901 has the pistol grip closer to the trigger. This is important when coaching jr. high girls who may have short LOP and small hands. I like the suggestion of finding a similar sized female shooter at the range and see if your wife can shoot her gun. Then ask her what she would buy if she had to do it over again. I have seen some interesting sales and friendships that got started just like this. IMHO Omaha

20. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I got a decent BT 99 for her, it was a good trade!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.