1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun for sale misunderstanding

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sky Buster, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I would say that unless you specified, "no returns" the buy should
    get at least a 48 hour inspection period. After that he owns it.

2. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I've sold about 10 different trap guns and I have never had an issue. Although I have always offered a refund minus my shipping cost if someone is unhappy.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Returns should never be accepted because it "doesn't fit". Only for undisclosed damage, wear, ect. The buyer is responsible for doing their homework before the purchase is made.

Given the fact that he says, "It doesn't fit", that leads me to believe he shot it as well. Returns should also not be accepted if the buyer fires the gun (even when an inspection period is offered, its almost always a "non-firing" inspection). You have no clue how extensively it was shot, what kind of shells he jammed in the gun, how well he treated it when it was shot, ect.

A three day inspection (or any inspection for that matter) is NEVER a "given". If it wasn't discussed and agreed upon, it doesn't exist (again, all bets are off if there is undisclosed damage, modifications, info in the original ad is incorrect). That's why I like to conduct business by email as opposed to phone, that way you have everything in black and white and there is no refuting what's printed on the page.

Its up to you on how much you want to knuckle under to the buyer. At the very least, the buyer should be responsible for shipping BOTH ways (deduct actual shipping cost from the total when you refund the $, and buyer is responsible to get the gun back to you in the condition in which you sent it to him).

Final thought. If he filled out a 4473, and left the dealer, the gun is his and is in his name. Therefore there is no LEGAL way for him to directly return it to you. He would need to ship it back to a dealer near you, and you'd have to fill out a 4473, just as if you were purchasing the gun from him (which is in essence what you're doing, buying the gun back from him). Deduct these costs from the returned funds as well.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

" Its what I've been looking for,I'll buy it."

So, this is the gun he was looking for, but never shouldered one to see if it was a fit. Everything is adjustable so it can be made to fit, the way he wants. As long as the gun is as described, and condition is not an issue, I would at minimum expect all shipping to be paid by the buyer. Sounds to me the real reason is not being discussed, from the buyers side. If you have the other people still available to purchase, just let them know the deal fell through.

That being said, I have a problem with shipping guns all around just to let someone try it out, to see if they like it. If it is as described, and functions properly, I say you bought it when you sent the check. Getting it back in the same condition also comes to mind. JMO. Jon

Skeet-man,

Last paragraph is also a good point!

5. romie

romie Active Member

When I sell a gun I give three days they can return it for any reason just pay me postage.I give full information and have never given a refund but it would not have bothered me if I had.I have sold at least ten on this site.
    If you are in the hit and run scam or do not have patients to deal with the public you need to let a dealer sell it for you and pay the 10% or so.
    I passed on a $11,000 Perazzi this spring because the guy said I could not shoot it.He still has the Perazzi and I still have the $11,000. He has since lowered the price. STUPID! The gun had 10,000 rounds in it if not more.
    Monty

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Another post and then delete thread. Don't post the thread if you are gonna delete it less than a day later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.