1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun for Mama-San

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

I mentioned in my earlier thread that i am new to trap and that my wife is now interested. She's 66, new to guns in every way and fired a few shots at trap this past sunday with a borrowed gun. She's a tad on the smallish side, unlike me with my portly frame and heavy eyebrows. She's about 5-5", 140 pounds, short arms, small wrists, not a whole lot of upper body strength and is a tad on the timid side around things that go boom.

In spite of this, she surprised me this past Sunday by following an instructor out to a trap where she donned a vest, shouldered an 1100 and gave it a go at some birds. It appears that my shooting budget is about to expand, as she wants a gun. So, i did some sleuthing and discovered that there are some models of guns that might work for her, including a Beretta 3901RL which is an auto, has an adj. comb and a short stock that should fit her lilliputian frame.One member here suggested that i consider a BT99, but i am not sure if she would be comfortable opening and closing it, as well as dealing with the recoil. I just don't want her turned off to trap by getting an ill-fitting gun. There are few, if any trap guns to look at around here, save the ones that show up at the trap club.

I am trying to keep the weight down, keep the recoil to a minimum and find a gun that will serve her well and have some resale if and when she hangs it up.I am sure this has been discussed ad-nauseum, but i need all the help i can get. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, warnings and recommendations.

John B.

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Get your wife a Beretta 3901 RL 12 ga. with either a 26" or 28" barrel. The RL has a 12" LOP with two 1/2" spacers. Use a 7/8 oz or 1 oz load and recoil will not be a problem. $ 935.00.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm with Mike on this one. Get the Beretta.

4. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

By the Beretta you speak of. The 1100 might be alittle much for her if she's weak on upper body strength. Don't buy the BT99!

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Great story. Get that adj comb adjusted for her and put an adj butt pad on it too if it doesn't seem to be hitting her shoulder pocket or she's canting. Too late to save her shell from her first broken target. Watch the straights. 5, 10, 15 as well as the scores. Anything to encourage.

Did you see the thread about the guy who helped is daughter get started with light loads and poi checks? A model for us all.

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My wife started with a 391, from Mike B. I might add, but has since moved to a Kolar. The 391 is a excellent starting point. Jake

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

391RL Berretta, great gun for smallish gals.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It sounds like she was happy shooting the 1100. Stick with what she likes. HMB

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Do you have the eye dominance question answered yet? This could be the key to whether she is successful.

I would also go a step further and suggest a BT99 Plus Micro. The Plus model will give you far less recoil, adjustability for fitting, and be as "lilliputian" as anything out there. Finding one, however, won't be easy. If you can find some one with a regular Plus (not a Micro) it would be wise to have her shoot one (even though the length of pull may be too long).

It will definitely hold it's value, and it won't be kicking empty hulls on anyone. If she wouldn't be comfortable breaking open a gun, she may have trouble jockeying around an auto, shellcatcher or not.

You're lucky to be in this situation. This is the fun part of trapshooting.

Good luck.

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

If you reload, a used 11-87 with a light contour barrel and monte carlo stock (synthetic or wood) and 7/8 oz loads is a combination that you cannot go wrong with.
    If you do not reload, an 1100 20 gauge on a 12 gauge frame with e M/C stock, might be just the ticket. Most of us in my club shoot 7/8 oz loads, so a 20 gauge should not be at a disadvantage. My humble opinion. JM

11. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I bought a 3901RL from Mike Battista for my wife - she loves it. It is far lighter than a 1100. Recoil is almost negligible with 7/8s handloads or Winchester Featherlghts. I would recommend getting the bolt release assist right off the bat as many gals don't have enough hand strength to use the button release for a round or two. I got a Briley, but Angleport makes one also.

K

12. vatrap

vatrap Member

John,

All the recommendations above are good, our experience was about the same.

I shopped for a while and found an 1100 20 gauge standard frame that worked out just right for my wife. I would highly recommend getting one with the 28" modified choke vent rib barrel, you can even find them with a poly choke attached if you look hard enough. The real difference for her was getting a Wenig ladies stock and having an adjustable comb added. After shooting it for a year or so I was able to put the stock on an 1100 Trap and she is shooting it now in competition.

[​IMG]

Mike

13. neofight

neofight TS Member

Man, you guys never disappoint with your speedy and informative replies. I sure wish we had more resources locally for trial-fitting a gun for her. While i appreciate the simplicity and durability of the BT99, the break-open guns are a tad clumsy for her and the gas jobs do offer reduced recoil, which we need in order to keep her interest from waning.

I am going to continue sleuthing about like a starving used car salesman and hopefully find a couple guns for her to look at and see what fits.. If all else fails, i'll make the 2-1/2 hr drive to the big city.

The Beretta looks like it's at the top of my list for now. I thought about a 20Ga, but she was not spooked shooting in 12ga and since i'll be reloading in 12Ga, may as well give every advantage at the trap or is there a flaw in that logic?

Thanks again for taking the time. I'll be in touch, Mr. Battista.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Nothing reduces recoil as much as light loads, 1 oz at 1100 fps, or 7/8 oz loads at even 1200 fps. Use 8s or 9s in them and there are pulenty of pellets for her to learn her baiscs. Recoil can be so little that they MAY not operate the gas guns so watch that. If you're not reloading, try to find someone that can supply a beginning amount of shells for you/her and see what I mean. Soon enough, you'll be wanting to reload your own magic brew for those evil targets.......Bob Dodd

15. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

I started my gf on a Beretta 3901. Great gun.

I had Tron put a full size stock on it can do double duty.

She is now using a BT-99 with the new "Youth" PFS and loves it.

Either gun will do but the 3901 will kick less out of the box.

Don Verna

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

BT-99 Micro / Beretta 391 Parallel Target RL

18. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Bt99 plus will adj.for anyone.Low recoil,light weight.easy to handle with 1 once loads at 1100 fps.won't play her out after a couple of rounds.

19. laura!

laura! Member

I'm an inch shorter than your wife. I highly recommend a PFS. You can get a wide variety of grips to fit many guns and can always make the gun fit. They are expensive, but I've found good used ones and, the guy that makes them, Vern, is always very helpful. Glad to hear your wife is shooting - trap is an awesome sport for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.