1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun for beginner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ddhotbot, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddhotbot

ddhotbot TS Member

what would be a good starter gun for trap only under $800. i shoot mostly skeet now and use a browning 425. i want a dedicated trap gun but its just for fun with the guys. thanks don

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

bt99 in 32" or 34" but 32" will be a better deal and work just as well. no other choices really for $800.

3. ddhotbot

ddhotbot TS Member

what about this 1?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=255148704

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Nothing wrong with your 425 for Trap.

However, if you still want another gun, and who doesn't, I suggest looking at the Browning BPS Trap or the Remington 870 Wingmaster Classic Trap. Both are good guns and both are made specifically for Trap. Both cost less than $800 new. Of course, both can be used for other disciplines as well.

5. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Used BT99, Remington 870 Trap, a 1100 Trap is a nice starter gun and also has light recoil. Picked this one up used a couple years ago for 650, hard to beat for the price.

[​IMG]

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

For $800...Used: a BT99, For $600 New: BPS Trap. While the Ithaca (SKB) Century Trap was/is a fine gun, I don't think parts for it have been made for quite some time. SKB USA are out of parts. Good luck.

Wayne

7. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Get a less expensive gun that fits, (even an 870 will do, or a used auto) and spend the rest on practice ammo, when you've burned that up, then you'll have a better idea of what YOU want.

It's not the gun, it's the shooter.

When one target of 100 makes the difference, THEN go for the fancy shootin' arn....

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The BT-99 hands down... You can buy a nice 99 in the $800.00 range, they're easy to shoot, low on recoil, point well and smoke targets are extremely durable and can be repaired which is rare by any gunsmith. If want to move up or move out of the game, you can always recoup 100% of your investment, maybe more. don't get sucked into a pump or some off brand single barrel.

Surfer

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I bought a Browning BPS Trap pump gun here on ts.com and have been quite pleased. Well under $800, takes invector plus choke tubes, swings well and is heavy enough that recoil has not been a problem. They seem to be built like a tank! The above suggestions are all good ones, too. Martinpickert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.