1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun fitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddeath, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Thinking about getting my son to see a stock fitter. Not sure if he even has a problem with the current fit, but it wouldn't hurt to ask someone.

How does this work just visit one of the guys at a larger shoot and ask to get it fitted?

What is the average cost for this service?

Will any fitters be at the PA grand this weekend?

2. high 2

high 2 Member

When some one comes to me with an existing stock I check for proper drop at comb, drop at heel, LOP. About all that can be done if any of these aren't where they need to is to install adjustable comb and or adj butt plate and then set the correct measurements. Sometimes a trip to the range to make sure everything is working right. Larry

3. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Sucks you are in Oklahoma! But thanks for the input. I think that is our next move. And maybe a graycoil system.

4. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Also, if I may add, we visited a gun stock guy at the PA state shoot. Told him what we wanted in an adjustable butt pad and we would put it on ourselves. That was the deal breaker! He became a real ass! Just sell us the products you advertize, let us put it on, and then we will soon be running back for a fitting.

5. high 2

high 2 Member

Yes, some guys get testy about that kind of stuff. A lot of people grind their own pads and butt adjusters and do a pretty darn good job. Doing a coalitalia a little more involved. I want to do all the work, but will sell you the stuff to do it yourself. Making a little money is better than making none. Good luck with your project. Larry

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Check your PA. program and see if Keith Heeg is going to be there, he is good and works with the youth.

Or Country Gentleman both are good.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with Gary's suggestion about looking for the stock fitters he mentioned.

Good fitters can not not only change stock dimensions to match different sized and shaped shooters, but in the case of youths, will discuss shooting form if flawed element of form is seen.

Anyone can shoot any gun but the shooting form that is used (gun mount, stance, head/neck/body posture) must be corruupted when guns do not fit. Good fitters discuss any form errors they notice and ask the customer if he or she is interested in "correcting" their form and also explain why it would be beneficial.

Rollin

8. sabretooth

sabretooth Member

Best thing you &/or your son can do is to read the chapter on stock fitting in Bob Brister's book " Shotgunning, the art & the science". Single most informative book I ever read. You'll probably be able to figure out ahead of time what your son needs. As for me... I got a used PFS off this site & a very experienced club member not only put it together for me on my MX-15 but corrected it for my bad canting habit as well. Best of luck. It is always heartening to see sons taking up their father's sport.

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

The BEST thing you can do is 1st get a copy of Rollin Oswald's book and read it. Then second, go to a professional Gun Fitter as mentioned.

blade819

10. arend003

arend003 Member

I second blade's suggestion Rollin's book is an excellent starting point in gun fitting.
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.