1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Fitting Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Westie, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Member

Hope you don't mind a question from a novice about gun fitting. I have a Guerini with adjustable rib, comb and butt pad. With the comb completely down, I can still see the rib and not a figure 8. Should most or all of us see a figure 8 if our trap guns fit properly? In my situation, does this mean that the gun can't be made to fit me?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Haven't seen a figure 8 in years. I remove the center beads from all of my shotguns.

ss

3. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Put it on paper first and then decide what to do. Find out were the gun is shooting first.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

Do you shoot it well? If you shoot it well, don't worry about figure 8's or anything else. If you're having trouble shooting it, search for Neil's threads on determining point of impact and find out where the gun is really shooting.

5. Westie

Westie Member

Thanks to all for your help and advise.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What part of the rib is adjustable? HMB

7. JPL1

JPL1 Member

Do you have the front of the rib adjusted all the way down?

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Do what SARGE recommends!

9. Westie

Westie Member

Do so many experienced shooters want their point of impact so high so they see the target better and the barrel is further below and out of the way? I assume they know where to "float" the target. Thanks.

10. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I have three Guerini's set up differently to get the same sight picture when I shoot different shotgun sports. My settings are completely different than what the other Guerini owners at my club have - and this is the primary benefit of having adjustable ribs on single and o/u barrels, adjustable combs and adjustable butte plates.

-- For singles and 22 HD, my summit 34" trap unsingle has the comb up about 1/4 inch and to the right about 1/4 inch. The adjustabl butte plate is 1 1/2 inches lower than factory. I see a tight figure 8 when setting my POA, then I ignore both beads completely. My rib is set to the 4th notch from the bottom. My patterns say I get about 90/10 like this. If my bead touches the rising bird, i almost always miss, and when I hit, it splatters down meaning most of my shot went over.

-- For doubles and wobble, my summit 32" trap o/u (different gun) has the same comb setup though the adjustable butte plate is 1 inch lower than factory. I see the same figure 8 when setting my POA, then I ignore both beads completely. My o/u adjustable rib is set to the first notch on the bottom. I get about 100% like this. If my bead touches the rising bird, I generally miss since my shot goes 100% over the bird.

-- For bunker/sporting clays, i have a sporting summit with the adjustable comb set as the others -- but this stock is not a trap stock but a sporting stock that has no monte carlo and no adjustable butte plate. My adjustable 30" o/u rib (couldnt wait for the Impact!) is set to the top (6th) notch. I have to touch the edge of the bird to hit it. If its rising, i touch the bottom. If its a left or right, I touch the bottom of the leading edge or lead it as appropiate. If I mistakenly cover the bird with my bead, I will almost always hit it.

Sorry if this is too much info. Give yourself time to learn what works best for you. When you add an adjustable butte plate to the adjustability of the guerini ribs and stocks, you have a lot of opportunity to get the gun to fit you -- but it takes time and patience.

Good luck.

11. Westie

Westie Member

Thanks for the help. I also ignore the beads when I shoot, but have always been able to get a figure 8 when mounting other guns. I will keep messing with it and try the advise received on this thread.

12. FAT-BOY

FAT-BOY TS Member

My CG Mangus was the opposite. Unsingle rib is all the way up+. comb down. but plate down i inch and to the right. shoots 60/40. Havent checked the over and under yet.

Bobby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.