1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun fitting conundrums

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I realize that a gun must fit reasonably well to shoot it well, and I take fit pretty seriously. Here's a little conundrum I've encountered. I got my trap gun during sweatshirt weather and shot and fit was very nice. Now that it's cold enough to require a sweater and a heavy coat I find fit a to be more challenging. I even caught myself "shouldering" the gun on my upper arm a couple of times. This was because of the bulk of the clothing.

This makes me suspect that adjustable stocks make more sense than fitted stocks. It seems like it would make sense to have and adjustable butt-plate added that can be adjusted for summer wear and winter wear.

Does this make sense to you?

2. Bridger

Bridger Member

I try to wear the lightest clothing I can get away with and stay reasonably warm. Bulky clothing not only screws up your gun fit but hinders your movement. Graco does make an adjustable buttplate that can be adjusted for length of pull. Its not the prettiest thing you can add to your gun though and you have to chop off some of your stock to make it fit. Another solution is to just have a thinner pad fit to your gun to use during the winter season. A fitted stock can be ideal if the owner never changes. I often wondered why Kolar seems to always include an adjustable comb to their fitted stocks but I suppose it is to accomodate any changes the owner goes through.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If necessary get a winter pad and a summer pad. Use a metal threaded receiver for the pad screws, and change to machine screws to bolt on the butt pads. If you don't, you'll eventually ream out the screw holes in the stock with your wood screws that connect the pad. You could also go to Gracoil adjustible butt plate, but it may change the feel/balance of the gun due to added weight. Good luck.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

This has ALWAYS been an age old problem! My solution has been to NOT disturb the summer[regular] gunfit[and POI], but to just simply wear the lightest coat I can get by with in winter. After all, we are only talking 15 min at a time. Before and after....wear the heavy stuff......OR stand extra close to your best girlfriend between rounds like I do!

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

My kid has a PFS on his perazzi so we don't fret too much over adjustability but he hates wearing too many clothes so we wear the BEST possible thermal layers you can get and that has made a huge difference in establishing a consistent mount regardless of weather. A light, thin windproof/waterproof jacket over under armour is about all you need.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You want a fitted stock. If you also get the fitted stock equipped with an adjustable comb and adjustable butt plate, so much the better.

However, you don't want to be messing around with that stuff between summer and winter. I had two recoil pads fitted to my gun. 1 1/8" thick for Summer and 15/16" thick for Winter. I don't use the Winter pad because the clothing I wear is not that thick.

I wear a very thin, wicking base layer with a Patagonia or Lowe Alpine lightweight fleece or Aleutian mid layer and a breathable waterproof shell. Total thickness uncompressed is between 1/4" and 3/8". Compressed by the butt pad it is next to nothing. Keeps me toasty down to 30 degrees (lower if I wear a slightly thicker fleece). Any colder than that and I wear my Beretta down shooting jacket. Down compresses to almost nothing behind the butt pad, so it doesn't add any thickness either. The only problem with that jacket is you sweat rivers if the temp goes above freezing.

Take a look at that kind of stuff. IMO Lowe Alpine makes the best fleece wear under their Aleutian label. Their Dry Flo stuff is terrific if it's colder. The best breathable shell is from Patagonia. You want the ones they make for cyclists or cross country skying. Plenty of room for movement, great breatability, and they scrunch up to fit in your pocket. If you buy two weights of the mid-layer fleece, you'll be set for anything down to 10 degrees, unless you plan on standing around for hours on end.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you take a little extra time to pull the stock firmly into the pocket when you're wearing extra clothing, you'll find that the difference in length isn't that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.