1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun fitting by Dennis Devault

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KENENT1, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Made my appointment with Dennis today for a fitting and custom stock, really looking forward to this event.

Any advice from anyone who has already had a custom stock made from them??

tony

2. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

The best fitting and shooting gun I ever owned was a MachOne (s/n 86)....and I have pretty much owned them all. To this day I regret selling it.

JMHO

Jim C

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Same experience as John and Jim. Only advice would be to do what Dennis tells you. Trust him. He knows what he's doing.

It took me about 2,000 targets to get used to the grip (with finger grooves), but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Definitely a worthwhile investment.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No trap shooter should ever buy a new gun with wood .

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dennis hasn't made me a stock but I've watched the fitting process he uses. Get used to him saying, "do that again" lemme see!! You are in for a shooting treat Tony!! Hap

6. dewman

dewman Member

dennis made a stock for my seitz--shot the try stock for a year---the gun is in his shop now to make the real stock----you can not do better---don weeks

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, if we're going to get into the recoil aspect then, I'll have to second what John just said. It just goes to show that when a stock is fit correctly, none of the other things are necessary (except an adjustable comb, but I don't think Dennis will let you get away without one.) You won't believe how nice it is until you actually shoot the new stock some.

Dennis will want you to take the bondo-stock with you. You should probably do that. I didn't, and although I think I made the right decision, spending some time with it before the real stock is made is probably worthwhile.

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Go in with an open mind and just listen.

9. opa41

opa41 TS Member

Dennis is the best .I own 2 Mach One 87 and 106.You will enjoy the process of gun fitting.If you are lucky he will take you to a local club to shoot some games

George Dyll

10. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

You have made a wise choice. I my eye's, the best that can be made for what your after.

Great people at Dennis DeVault's shop, everyone of them. I have MachOne #55, recoil??? what the heck is that? Also, the crew is finishing up with my 3200, can not wait to get a hold of the ol' O/U.

Matt Nicol

11. Mirage Combo

Mirage Combo TS Member

I do not have one of dennis,s stocks. but at a clinic st charles last week
    dennis and dean adjusted my stock
    ,all the differenca in the world.they take the time to work with you.
    they are excellant.their clinic provides a one on one. great guys.

12. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

This is a picture of me with my Try stock on a new infinity.This is at a gunclub Dennis took me to to try out the gun. Since then I have had Dennis do three other guns. He really spoils you for Gunfit. Nothing else will do.
    It probably would be good if you can get your reservation in before the Canton Ohio Snow comes.

13. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hey Tom,

I forgot that you still had that photo. I remember it was about 6 degrees above zero the night we went there. Still can't believe we were able to get the fit we did with all those clothes. For a South LA person you faired the cold pretty well. Thank you for reminding me what is coming in about 3 months.

Dennis DeVault

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had the pleasure last week of not only having Dennis and Tracy make my stock, but also watching them for 3 days at my shop making<br>
    <br>
    stocks for 2 of my friends. Watching them work their magic, I began to realize that stockmaking might be a science, but<br>
    <br>
    there is also a lot of art in doing what these 2 do. To fine tune the stock at the gun club and not quit until I felt no recoil was amazing<br>
    <br>
    I'm not so sure about the color of the demo stock that he built me, but I can tell
    you I have never shot a gun that felt anywhere near as good<br>
    <br>
    as this one.
    I truly think these two have a gift for this, and I appreciate their talent. Harv Shell<br>
    <br>
    Here's a pic of the demo and the chunk of wood i picked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i dont need fancy wood but i want a fitted stock whats the avg price for a day with dennis and to make stock with avg wood?

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

See link above.

Fitting - $400
    Stock fab - $1000 - $2000 (depending on style of receiver)
    Wood - $(whatever you think is average)

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Harv, that's going to one of the best looking stocks I've ever seen guy!! What a WOW peice of great looking wood!!!! Hap

18. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

Tony:

Ditto on doing what Dennis asks you to do, and that's probably going to be significantly different that what all the "experts" back home would tell you.
    Other than that, buy lots of shells and take full advantage of the opportunity to shoot the try stock, as that will tell you as much as anything whether it fits right or not. If something is hinky,speak up, Dennis won't take umbrage.

Russ Roberts
    LV,NV

19. JRW

JRW Member

Well after hearing all the good reports on T/S I also went to Dennis. I am not impressed. Stock beats my face and I picked out checkering I wanted got something totally different. Good luck to you. Jerry in MI.

20. JRW

JRW Member

Gary when we went to the club I quit after 3 rounds and told Dennis my face was hurting. He had me mount the gun a couple times and said he knew what had to be done. I drove back to MI. and waited 6 weeks for gun to arrive, with wrong checkering and still kicking like a mule. Thanks for your concern. Jerry in MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dennis devault