1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Fit Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shamlin, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shamlin

shamlin Member

My girlfriend, who just started shooting in April really likes trap but is getting frustrated with her scores. She is 70's in singles and 60's in handicap from the 20. She is consistently shooting behind the angles, sometimes more than a foot behind. I think she is having trouble catching them due to the slowness of her swing due to poor gun fit and the type of gun. She is shooting an older model SKB something like the GC7. It is very heavy overall. It has a counter coil reducer and shoots very light recoil. I am trying to convince her to let me get her a 30" over under. I think it will help her swing speed and still allow her to shoot all 3 disciplines. (She loves doubles). Any advice I can pass on to her. She doesn't listen to anything I say.

2. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

HHMMMMM, a woman that doesn't listen??? NAY, can't help! LOL!!!
    Are you sure it isn't my wife??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If she is shooting behind mainly left to right angles, then it may be an eye dominance problem, ie dominant left eye shooting right handed.

Taking some lessons from an instructor or if any of the big names are in the area taking a class will help. Ask around the club(s). If there are no trap instructors locally, check out the NSCA site for any Level I or II sporting clays instructors in your area. Link to NSCA above. After all, to a sporting clays shooter, trap targets are just straight away and easy quartering angles. 8)

Jason

4. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

First don"t listen to the Clayshooter 08.... Second 30 in may worsten the problem of shooting behind .. wave rider may have hit it... is she a one eye shooter or two? if a one eye shooter use a frosted tape on the oppsite lens you may have to place it 3/4 of the way down the lens incase she is peeking. I would also see ohow high she is mounting the gun remember women must place the gun higher on their shoulder. try only 1 thing at a time... How long has she been shooting? and I commend you for wanting to help her...Good Luck let me know what happens.

5. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Sounds like a classic case of a stock that is too long. I'd start there. Phil Simms

6. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Well I can relate here. See if she will let you take her someplace and have the gun fitted first. Next I would suggest seeing if she is a one eye or two eye shooter. I have only been shooting 2 years and dang I am left eye dominate, but can only shoot right handed. I would find myself, closing my right eye then next shot I was closing the left. So the dot for glasses may work, then if she is right eye dominate her hold on the trap house might need to be adjusted. I was amazed when I got to take a class from Nora Ross this year that where you are putting the gun and where your soft hold makes a big difference. Then get her in a class with Nora. Pleased to say you learn a lot from another woman, and she knows her stuff!! 1 & 5 use to be my deamons, now I hit some of those angles with ease.

Good Luck

Deb

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'd start with Phil's suggestion, then move to Deb's. I do a fair amount of new shooter coaching at my club. Stock fit is the first problem, and almost all others stem from it.

Usually, the stock is too long. That forces women to turn almost sideways just to accommodate the length when "shouldering". The the butt pad is placed on the actual shoulder muscle instead of in the shoulder pocket. Because they are stretched way back there, they tend to lean back and put most of their weight on their back foot. It's really hard to swing on the angles in that position.

This "form" means they have to move their heads way right (or left) to line their eye up with the bore.

Women generally have longer necks. A stock designed for a male will not have enough drop at heel for a women, so she'll have to mount the gun higher on her shoulder. Usually, half of the butt pad is above the shoulder. This also contributes to placing the butt on the arm instead of the shoulder pocket. The pitch is now so wrong, the bottom point of the pad digs in and hurts. If they lower the butt so it stops hurting, their POI is now so high they shoot over everything.

Then there is facial structure. Women always seem to need more offset than the average man.

Take a look at Wenig's New American stock for women if you want to see how different a woman's stock can be.

You may be able to get a women's or child's stock for her gun inexpensively and start from there. Or maybe you can find a cheap used on you can shorten, build up the comb and shave to get close to the correct fit.

8. rocktire

rocktire Member

watch Frank Littles video. It states in there that almost all shooters can shoot any gun. You learn to adapt. If this is a random problem I would agree that it is a gun fit problem due to not being able to position in the same spot consistantly. If it is consistantly the same target I would say it is a visual thing. Not seeing the target come out of the house, a blind spot or something of the sort. Could be cross firing due to dominance issue but that would cause her to miss targets in every direction. I think the best advice would be for all of us to stop speculating and let a professional figure it out. Take her to a clinic!!

9. shamlin

shamlin Member

ZZT you just about hit everything right on regarding her shooting style. She does mount the gun with half the pad off her shoulder; she is shooting over most every target; she won't lean into the shot, rather she stands straight up and the recoil rocks her quite a bit backwards. She is a one eye shooter, but admits that when she calls for the bird and see's it come out of the house, she opens her other eye right before the shot. I watched her last weekend and damn, she really does that! Thanks for all the advice. I am sending it to her work computer...LOL.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

shamlin, have her reverse the process. Call for the bird with both eyes open. Then close the left when she has a lock on the bird and prepares to fire.

11. BYRDSHOOTER1

BYRDSHOOTER1 TS Member

Scott,

When are you coming back to Ohio? If its sometime soon I would be more than happy to work with her, if not, you need to find someone else to work with her other than yourself..... I have the same problem with Heather, so don't feel lonely.... Having someone else work with her, will make it easier for her......

Pat

12. fenoc

fenoc Member

Do you live anywhere near Pittsburgh PA? If you do contact Ken Darroch for a clinic. The first 2 things he does with a client is check gun fit & pattern the gun...then he shows hold points for 1 or 2 eyes / left or right handed. & the whole time you shoot it's videoed so you can actually see what you are doing wrong or right. I would also suggest getting a cut in comb so you are able to adjust for both cast & neck length & an adjustable butt plate that can also add height & cast. Suggest putting her weight on her front leg & bending that knee just a little that helps keep her from leaning back. Ken also had my grip moved forward a bit because my fingers are shorter when we ordered my wood from Wenig. (another thing that men don't have to worry about...get a bra that the adjuster is in the back, the point of the pad sits on that & drives it in,ouch!) Good luck with this we need more ladies on the line, make it as fun as possible for her & it will make life more fun for you because you will get to have more quality time together! See you on the line...Pam D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.