1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun fit question re 22-yard handicap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

We just finished a winter league at my club (singles/wobble/handicap) and I was struggling with the 22-yard handicap event until I found out that I need to hold a higher gun for handicap. For 16-yard singles and wobble, the comb of the stock is level with my shoulder, but I shot my best 22-yard handicap scores by holding the stock higher so that the toe of the recoil pad is resting against my collar bone, about 3ΒΌ inches higher! I don't get it.

If someone could explain the gun fit dynamics of this to me, I'll buy the beer. Thanks.

LA in MA

2. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

It should not matter 16 vs. 22, 6 yds. won't change your poi much. To me it sounds like you are slower getting on the further target and hitting it when it is going down instead of when it is rising. I have shot from the 16 to the 24 yd line with no changes to the gun or my hold and hit them the same.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can figure is that your cheek doesn't stay firmly planted on the stock when you shoot. It doesn't cause you a problem from 16 yds but when you move back to 22, precision gun pointing becomes an issue. Even a slight change of face pressure on the stock will change the POI enough to cause a miss. If you can move the stock up that much and still get your cheek on the comb comfortably, you must have to really force your head down to get on the the stock otherwise. Moving your stock up on your shoulder as far as you did makes it much easier to keep your head down and your face where it belongs. Your gun point becomes more accurate and precise... more hits, fewer losses.

Lower your butt pad some to get the stock up higher for all your shooting.

MK

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe the change you made gives the gun a higher POI. This is due to the gun pivoting up wards due to the recoil. The gun rotates around the bottom of the recoil pad which is up against your shoulder while the top of the pad is unsupported.

To be sure of this take the gun to the patterning board and check the POI while shooting it both ways. HMB

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

With the gun held lower for 16 yd targets it is necessary to lean your head more forward on your stock to get a good weld on your cheek. This puts your eyes closer to the stock. I am going tto suggest that you probably are looking at the target more out of the top of your eye socket. When you move back to the 22yd and raise the stock on your shoulder, you are in effect raising your comb (putting your eyes at a higher level) because your head is more erect and you are looking more out of the middle of your eye socket. If you keep the same type cheek weld raising the stock mount position will raise your eyes in relation to the barrel. You can test this by somply rolling your head up without loosing contact with the cheek and notice the difference in p of aim.
    hope this helps

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

22 yd trap shooting

how to shoot trap from 22 yard

poi for 22 yard handicap shooting

shotgun fitting hits collarbone