1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Fit in Southern Oregon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ibjamin, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibjamin

Ibjamin Member

Greetings All, I am new to trap shooting and this site. I would like get a proper fit for my BT-99, it has a adjustable comb and pad. I know that fit is very important, but do not have a clue on how to proceed. Would a professional fit be best? I live on the southern Oregon coast. Any suggestions?

Randall Nord

2. Ibjamin

Ibjamin Member

Thanks for getting back to John. Tried the gun out before I purchased it and went 6 for 6. Not much of a real test,but good for me. I took your suggestion and mounted the gun with my eyes closed and came with the beads stacked. However the butt hangs up slightly in my armpit. I checked the LOP and it was about 3" from my nose might be to long. I am going out this afternoon to see how it patterns. Its has been suggested I shoot 3 shots at 16 yds from a rest.

Thanks for your help.

Randall

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

A BT-99 with a 14 1/2" LOP is designed for a man about 5'10" tall and 175#. If you are in that normal range, and your gun has not been modified, you probably just need to shoot it a while, and develope some consistancy in your form and mount, before you start trying to make adjustments to your gun. If you are out of the normal size, or your gun has been modified, then it is time to have at least have an experienced shooter look at you as you mount the gun. Do you shoot at a local gun club that might have someone willing to help? I am at the Roseburg Rod and Gun Club, and we are having a PITA shoot at the end of April. Come over and shoot with us, and we can help you with your gun fit. Mark

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Last known number for Stocker John 971/570-6569 which is in Eugene

Surfer

5. AEP

AEP Member

I think there is a stock maker in Brookings, OR. I'm not sure if he's rifle shotgun or both. I think he's up the Winchuck River on Winriver Road.

I would check with the Del Norte Gun Club.

Andy

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Here is the info for Stocker John from his business card:

Stocker John's

Custom Gun Stocks

Professional Gun Fitter

John Fittinger

285 Alva Park Dr.

Eugene, OR 97402

971-570-6597

7. Ibjamin

Ibjamin Member

Thanks everyone. I am 5'10-1/2" tall and wish I was still 175#. I have been shooting a Mossberg 20 Ga Pump 26" barrel, the BT-99 is vast improvement. I recently joined the Del Norte Gun Club. One of things that I enjoy about trap shooting is the people. They are very friendly and helpful.

Randall

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Randall,

It sounds like your stock is a little long but stock length is affected by how you stand when you shoot - your stance. If you shoot with your shoulders nearly alighed with where you are shooting, you will need a longer stock than you would if you faced targete more dirrectly.

Gun fit is closely related to shooting form (gun mount, stance, head/neck/body posture). The goal is to have stock dimenisons that allow you to shoot with as normal possture as possible. with your height (and weight?) that should not be too difficult.

Good stock fitters, before they begin changing any stock dimensions, discuss shooting form and if yours could be imporved, teach the improved form. Then they change the stock dimenisons to fit that form.

A visit to a good stock fitter is a very good idea.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun fitters in eastern oregon

john fittinger gun

professional shotgun fitters oregon