1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Fit for Tall Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato Member

I would like to pose a question for you tall shooters out there. I am 6'2 and have very long arms (6'4 wingspan) therefore I am having a tough time getting a gun to fit (factory stocks seem to be too short). How do you tall shooters get guns to fit? Buy custom stocks, deal with short stocks, improvise? Any advice on how to fix this problem without buying custom stocks for all my shotguns?

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Dunno where you live; but there are many good gun fitters, some of 'em really great. For my Browning 525 Sporting, I went to Glen Baker at Woodcock Hill, (Thomas Bland & Sons,) in PA. He measured me for fit, bent the stock and added a Decelerator pad. If you're talking trap exclusively, then find someone who specializes in Trap guns. Jeff at Kolar is very good, but I understand they only have time for Kolar's, these days, also I hear great reviews of Dennis DeValt's work, and he has posted some elegant examples of his work, here on the board.

3. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato Member

Mike
    I have heard that Tom Smith in Northwest Ohio is a good fitter and I have thought about going to see him. Im sure if I spend enough money I can get my trap gun to fit me (either modify the one I have or buy a new one). But I really dont know how I will get the rest of my guns to fit, besides buying new stocks for all of them. For example, my goose gun and upland gun both beat the snot out of me and would like to rectify this.

I was told that LOP is measured by holding the butt of the gun to your bicept and see where your index finger lands compared to the trigger. When doing this my index finger wraps nearly all the way around the front of the trigger gaurd. Therefore, accordin to this method, the stocks on my guns are WAY too short.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The length of your arm has nothing to do with stock length - it is the length of your neck that does because it can affect where on the stock your head is located.

Think about a gun side view of a shooter who has his gun mounted. Now imagine his arm growing in length. Beside his elbow moving outward, nothing much happens and his head does not move. Now imagine his neck length changing and you'll see his head has to slide forward and backward on the comb in order to stay on the stock.

That old saw about using the crook of the elbow to determine stock length is useless for anything but proving that a stock is longer or shorter than your forearm and that information isn't worth a whole lot.

Ed

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I can vouch for Tom Smith (Wesson Ohio). He's done my trap and skeet guns and is especially fond of sporting clays. Beautiful work that works, at whatever your buget demands.

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

The smartest thing you could do would be to buy a PFS. You can then get "grips" for each of your guns. The PFS will adjust to every fit you need. Once the PFS is set, you can change grips and have the same fit or the ability to make minor adjustments for each gun. Money well spent and recoil reduction to boot.

JON

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

BrowningPotato
    First off, I have never mounted a factory standard gun that came close to fitting correctly (for me). I'm 6' 5" with a reach of 81". I find that a deep MC stock works best for me. When I first started shooting I would mount the stock near the shoulder pocket created when you raise your arm. By mounting this way I found I required a longer stock, about 15" LOP. I also discovered that the further out I mounted the gun the more likely I would pull the stock away from my head on a hard right angle (for a rt hand shooter). By moving the stock closer in (closer to my body center) I was much more likely to keep my head on the gun. This also shortened my LOP to about 14 5/8 inch (very close to a standard LOP). I am also able to keep my head more upright for better sight lines with both eyes. From there it is just a matter of working the comb to obtain the right (for you) site picture. An adjustable comb really helps. If you should go this route be sure to get a comb that will adjust sideways as well as up and down.

This has been my experience over many years of trap shooting and fooling with more guns than most sane people would buy. But then no one ever accused me of being sane. After all, I am a trap shooter.

This worked for me. It may or may not work for you. The absolute best course of action would be to consult an expert. A word of caution: You will find many self proclaimed experts even though they may have never been seriously involved with this game. And each will have a different opinion.

If you should attend a major shoot, you will often find custom stock makers there with a display. Consult with them and take their advice seriously. This game will not be near as much fun if you can not hit anything. Properly fitting YOUR gun is the most important first step.

My opinion based only on my own experience. Others may choose to differ. Hope it helps some.

Good luck. Marc

8. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

I'm 6'7" tall and could not find a standard stock to fit me well. I live in Springfield, Mo. so I went to Wenigs in Lincoln, Mo. to have a stock fit to me. It is the best money I ever spent. The stock (15" LOP) fits perfectly. Now I have to find a new excuse for my misses. Bud Wood

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm 6'4" with a long wingspan. Like Marc, the LOP on my shooters are right around 14 5/8.

Guy Babin

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I am 6'5 and also need a long LOP. I started by adding thicker recoil pads and spacers to my gun. But, I have a safe full of guns that I like to shoot and have come up with another solution that works for me. My vest has a pocket for a shooting pad. I put a 1/2" dense foam pad in that pocket and I can shoot normal LOP guns comfortably. I use the method of measuring from my nose to my thumb and it is about 1 1/2" and it works for me. I am a successful recreational shooter in all disciplines and have taught myself to adjust to different guns. I try to not take it too seriously. From my years of golfing I have realized that you can't always solve a problem by throwing money at it. See the bird, shoot the bird.
    Mark

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I'm 6'3" and have a neck like a giraffe. The length of your neck determines the stock length and how much drop you will need at the M/C. Because you arm can bend at the elbow, your arm can accomodate a variety of different lengths.

Not all guns you mount will have the same LOP and M/C drop. Each different model will vary, especially with regards to the diameter and length of the grip and width of the comb.

Doug

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I Love my PFS stocks.. and have fit many.. If your length of pull is under 15.25".. the work GREAT.. Once you hit 16"??????? Well.. for me.. I'm not the happiest camper.. I perfer the older ones to the newest issue..but that's a personal thing.. Vern is GREAT to work with..and will do anything to help you getting the PFS to do exactly what you want... It has brought me to the top of my shooting game.. and I have one on every gun I shoot..

Dennis does an excellent job of stocking any make or model..and there are countless others who also do a great job.. sadly.. we are also littered by want to be gunfitters..which the results is the same as setting alot of money on fire.. At the end.. you have nothing..

All Good.. Mike

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm 6'5" and wear a shirt with a 37" sleeve length.

My LOP is 15-1/4".

Plastic spacers will work or do what I did, sent the gun to Greg Hissem and he worked his magic.

Curt

14. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Hi Browning Potato and Posters. Some good advise I did not follow! Bought a big K&T 60 tool change twin palette shuttle CNC machining center. As the truck was backing it in to unload it, my mom yelled real loud "send it back, take a tax loss". The machine never made a part! Still have it. Ok, my dad shot a model12 trap straight stock 14 5/8" lop. He was 6' weightlifter short neck. Me 6'4"
    same lop long neck. Never hit 25 straight with his gun, but did many times with BT99, Win 101, 870 Comp Trap. All had Monte Carlo stocks that fit my neck height, this was before adjustable combs became popular. I would never modify my dads gun, he would never forgive me! I'm old fashion and wouldn't use the PFS, but time marches on so try one! "I suggest you hire a professional, I want the package delivered by noon Friday". So get your trigger finger to bicep lop right, then get the adjustable comb height right, then practice, practice, practice. If that doesn't work then send it back and take a tax loss!

Best regards,

Harry Lyga

P.S. PerazziBigBore, you are something else1 Very nice inventory!!

P.S.II My son is 6'7" 300 lb and size 17 hockey skates, never shot trap yet.
    My guns don't fit him. I'll have to borrow one of PerazziBigBores PFS'S.

15. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato Member

How do you measure what LOP you need, or is this best for a professional fitter to decide.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Add spacers till your nose is 1 - 1.5" from your thumb (the one you wrap your around the stock.) Adjust for comfort from there, but don't stretch your neck.
    As long as your thumb doesn't hit your nose fromrecoil your close, but comfort and feel matter. I think Tom Smith charges $150 for a fitting, but you're advised to have an ajustable comb. Tom has done 2 guns for me.

17. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

add a piece of wood to your rib 3/8" taller makes a big differance

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am 6'3" and have a long neck. As Ed mentioned it is the neck length that makes fitting a stock complicated. I have had three custom stocks fitted to me by excellent professionals. They all worked reasonably well but none really did the job I wanted. I finally found a solution. Mike (P-big bore) posted photographs of my solution above. I cannot imagine me ever shooting a trap gun that did not have a Precision Fit Stock. It is best to get the PFS fitted to you and then leave it alone. I have not yet learned that lesson but I am now down to changing mine only 2-3 times a year.

Pat Ireland

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Pat.. depending on how your weight and clothes bounce back and forth.. it's OK.. to make minor adjustments.. Just write down.. how many turns to the left or right to return to where you started.. ALSO.. I emplore everyone who buys a PFS stock to read the book over and over... Also.. if you come to the GRAND next year.. I'll set your PFS stock up for you after hours.. I'll be at Giacomo's.. Anyone comming to New Orleans can visit me and I'll set their PFS stock up.. or set one of mine up on your gun.. If you make an appointment.. we can go to the range to shoot it too.. I believe in the PFS stock for many shooters.. Some really big guys it does not work well for.. All Good.. Mike

20. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Average Ed (Ed) is right. Arm length is unimportant in the stock dimensions you need before a gun fits you.

Tall shooters usually have necks that are longer than average and more importantly, longer than stocks are designed for. The problem with long necks is that shooters have to lean or tilt their necks forward to place their cheeks on the comb. For that reason, a longer stock is required to prevent the unwelcome meeting of the nose and thumb during recoil. (A correct LOP is affected by a number of things and neck length along with the stock's drop at the heel dimension plays a big part.)

It is the drop at the heel dimension that can compensate for tall shooters' long necks. Moving the recoil pad down is the thing that compensation that does it. It allows an upright head and neck posture, which decreases the tendency for the head to move (relative to the rib) during swings.

You would be best off having your gun fitted by a good stock fitter, one could change your stock's dimensions so you could use the correct shooting form (stance, body posture, gun mount).

A PFS is a great stock design. It has all the adjustments you need but it would be best to have someone familiar with the correct shooting form, set it up for you as Mike offered to do.

Stock fit is about the shooting form the stock dimensions allow a shooter to use. A good form is necessary to shoot up to your full potential (and experience the least felt recoil).

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best shotgun for tall shooter

fitting a shotgun to a very tall person
shooting vest for tall person forums

shotgun fit long neck

shotgun for tall person

tall people shotgun fit

tips for tall people shooting firearms

woodcock hill gun fitting review