Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun fit - comb height and pitch

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Phil Kiner 
#1 ·
I am wrestling with a problem.. I shoot my MX2000 with he comb set VERY high. I really hammer the targets with it set this way and it has taken awhile to get everything adjusted just right. The problem is the comb is beating me high in the cheekbone - painfully!

I'm thinking of adding a washer or two to the top of the recoil pad to change the pitch..

Thoughts? Ideas??

#3 ·
It may take more than a washer or two to get the pitch right for the way your holding the gun now. I'd start with a 1/4 inch and work either way from that point since the gun is pounding your cheek hard now. Could it also be your not pulling the gun into the shoulder pocket with enough force? Hap

#4 ·
smp005:

I am not sure changing the pitch will do much for your "cheek slap" problem, though it could affect how the gun shoots for you. A couple of things you might want to try however. Check the comb to see is actually parallel to the rib or not. Many shotguns are, of course, lower at the comb heel than the comb front. If yours is this way, you might try removing a spacer or two from the front to lower the front, letting the comb move away from your face during recoil, as a parallel comb allows. Even slightly lower at the front may help. Secondly, you may want to try a "softer comb" by using one of the "glue" comb pads to the comb, resetting the spacers to compensate for the added height of the pad. This, in combination with ensuring a parallel comb may reduce cheek slap. Also, the LOP may not be correct for you, forcing you to cheek the gun in such a way as to induce slap. Just some thoughts on possible ways to attack the problem.

Jim R

#7 ·
Thannk you Tom and goose2. I appreciate your suggestions.

Too little pitch (bottom toe of the recoil pad sticking out too far) may be causing the problem but I suspect that there are other things involved as well.

Your raising the comb puzzles me. For most, a "very high" comb would make the gun shoot "very" high with its point of impact far above its point of aim. If that is the way yours shoots, that's fine. This assumes that you raised the comb to its present height to raise the POI and not for some other reason - to shoot with a more upright head position, for example.

Inadequate pitch is a primary cause of cheek slap but there are others, the way your cheek makes contact with the comb (several possibilities, here), a comb that rises in the front that was mentioned, as examples.

The pitch is correct FOR YOU when the entire recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder pocket when you mount the gun using your normal shooting posture. The top of the recoil pad should be about nearly even with the top of your shoulder with about one inch of the pad extending above your collarbone.

Most people who have problems with incorrect pitch have them because the pitch is inadequate. The trial solution was suggested above. If you need more pitch, placing washers between the pad and the stock on the pad's top attachment screw will temporally correct it. (A longer screw and a shim to prevent the pad cracking in the center may be needed.)

If that doesn't eliminate the cheek slap, the problem becomes more difficult to identify and solve. It can be caused by the way you mount the gun, how you stand - your stance - or a stock dimension, often the drop at the heel, that is incorrect for you.

To muddy the waters even further, cheek slap can be caused by a combination of gun mount, body posture AND a stock dimension or two (LOP as was mentioned, comb axis or drop at the heel. They all affect how the cheek makes contact with the comb and the position of the head with the gun mounted, all of which can be involved in cheek slap.

Rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.