1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun FIt and Offset Question on Kolar TS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Aug 20, 2013.

1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

At the grand I tried out several of Kolar's guns, and shot one event with a TS with a number 2 stock. This stock has 1/2" of offset.

During the second fifty of the event, I started to get a lot of slap in the cheek, and got to the point where the gun was sliding off my shoulder at the end of the shot (very disconnected).

I think the face slap was a function of mounting the gun too high, which I could cure with an adjustable plate.

Overall does this sound like an issue for tweaking the fit, or a totally wrong stock for me?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Give Jeff Mainland a call at Kolar. Bill Malcolm

3. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I recently bought a used kolar trap combo with a lot of offset and had a little bit of cheek discomfort and put a small positive pitch spacer on it and it was fixed. I compared it with a new kolar skeet gun and pitch with my spacer in was identical to skeet stock. Good guns with low recoil. jim w.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't know your reasons for trying a gun with 1/2 " offset, but when I was at the Grand after trying several stocks in the shop, Jeff Mainland told me that I don't need a lot of offset. I'm still happy with my old school TMX.

5. butcher

butcher Member

You need a pitch spacer and an adjustable recoil pad so you can tweak your mounting routine.

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

There are a number of causes of cheek slap. I doubt that the offset comb is the cause unless you had to turn your head toward the stock to align your eye with the rib. but I could be wrong.

More likely it was caused by too little drop at the heel that mad you raise your gun mount so high that only the bottom of the recoil pad was making contact with your shoulder.

That would cause excessive barrel(and comb) rise during recoil. A pad adjuster would probably fix it providing the stock also had the correct pitch for you.

Shooters who need a pad adjuster have either a long neck or they mount their guns too low on their shoulder.

Rollin

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

1/2" cast off (not offset) is often associated with guys that want to shoot "heads-up". Make sure you understand what the terms mean and how they will affect you.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Cast Off and Offset I believe are the same RE: Right Hand shooter Like myself shoot 1/2"inch RH Cast Stocks as I have a full face, so I can get my correct sight picture.

If there is not enough cast you have to move the comb to the right, some guns are Neutral and require the comb to be moved to the MAX to the Right which might not be enough.

The heads up you are talking about is the drop at the HEEL like a WENIG triple Monte Carlo Stock, Kolar has these also, need to check and be fitted by KOLAR
    They have several Standard Stocks they build I believe there are at least 4 STD. Dimensions, others are extra.

Indiana Gun Club has several Kolar Stocks for fitting and try stocks.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Castoff and offset are not the same thing. They have a similar effect but they achieve it differently.

A stock with cast, angles from the area of the wrist straight back to the butt, either to the left or the right. A stock with an offset comb runs straight back from the receiver, but the comb, remaining parallel with the stock, is offset one way to the other.

Cast is most effective for shooters with wide shoulders. The butt is moved considerably more than the comb. Cast rarely exceeds 1/2".

An offset comb is more effective for shooters with plump cheeks or wider than average cheekbones who do not necessarily need to compensate for wide shoulders.

Rollin

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

UPN. most shooters need some (some) cast off. A thinner comb will allow many to align without tilting their horizontal plane. But a bit of cast off facilitates the mount process a bit easier than "scrunching in". If you have to force fit into a stock, usually in the heat of battle it will let you down. On the other hand more is not necessarily better.

Search tags for this page
a custom offset gun stock
gun offset
need lots of cast off on my trap gun

offset shotgun stock

shotgun offset
trap shooters off set comb
what is off set in gun trap gun
what is off set on a gunstock