1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun fit and new shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I generally help out a couple of new shooters a year. This either happens by referral or just offering my assistance.

In the past I have always kinda got the fit in the ball park and made sure it was comfortable to shoot. As the shooter progressed I would work a little more on gun fit as needed. I figured they needed time to understand proper gun fit.

I'm wondering if this is still a wise path or should I concentrate more on proper gun fit from the beginning.

ss

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

don't know for sure but would think that proper fit from the start might prevent bad habits form the start and promote better success in the learning process. Get it as close to correct as you can so that ony minor modifications are needed to bring the new shooter to perfection. Try to promote good form and refer to the gun fitting book (bible) from one of our posters to get them off to a good start.

Bob

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

If someone had helped me before I got old and decrepit, I think I would have been much better off! I used to crawl the stock, shoot a 15" lop, head tilted down, etc, etc and my damn thumb still hit me in the nose and glasses sometimes when I was really into it! I also think that is why I still fight to this day to stay in the gun, but getting better finally! I now shoot with a relatively erect head and shooting out of the center of my eyes and almost staying in the gun at an acceptable level. I also now shoot a lop of 14 5/16" and never once hit myself last year out of 11000+ rounds! Help as best you can and emphasize the erect head and out the center of their eyes! Tom Rhoads

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I think Tom got it right. Unless the gun has an adjustable comb and butt plate it is difficult to make a gun fit properly.Also,I would be a bit hesitant to tell someone to saw 1/2 inch off their stock or to change pitch without using a pitch spacer...SMOKIT.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Short Shucker - dont take this wrong- but why do you think you have even a clue about gun fitting? Have you read and understood Rollin's book?

My experience in watching "club" level gun fitters or gunsmiths in general-- 99 percent dont have a clue

You might be in the 1 percent that does

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gene,

I've never read any books on proper gun fitting. I never pretend to be an expert about it. I just do as I see to try and help. I have, on more than one occassion, recommended people to qualified gunfitter (The Country Gentleman) for a professional fitting once I had done everything I knew how. Very few times was there any adjustment needed and if it did, it was minor. I just have a knack for it as long as the shooter is right handed. I don't have much luck with lefty's though.

The one thing I have learned here as of late is how important pitch is to a proper fit. I was using an adjustable butt plate to compensate for improper pitch.

ss

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Make them look like this. About as good as it gets. And if yo have seen his vids, you know that his face never moves one iota during the target tracking nad shot process.
    mia_2008_0303218.jpg

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Short Shucker- I wasnt picking on you- just my observations of other people.

Sometimes their body position is so bad that you cant even begin to tell what dimensions are appropriate.

Country Gentleman would be a good place as you suggested from what I hear. Wenigs crew is very good even though Fred is no longer there. Some of the shotgun instructors are good and some probably not so good.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.