1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Explodes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by eagles11, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Dear Friends,

As with all incidents we are compelled to evaluate what went wrong and learn from it.

On Sunday a man was shooting on the public rifle range on our facility. He had been shooting a small caliber gun and switched to a Ruger M77 bolt gun in .25-06. In a fit of inattention to detail he took out .308 caliber ammo. Yes it will fit!! Think about it, the .308 is about 1/4 inch shorter than the .25-06. He later stated that the round went in a bit hard.

In the aftermath of the explosion the right side of the stock separated from the gun and landed a few inches away. The floor plate blew down and to the front with the follower and spring found about 15 feet to the front. The left side of the stock from just in front of the chamber to just behind the rear receiver tang was found the next day 30 feet to the left of the gun impaled in a rock. The extractor was blown up but remained attached to the bolt.

The only injuries the shooter received was a mouse on his right cheek and a bloody nose.

The gun saved his life by being designed so well. Cudos to Ruger for a fine job!!

As soon as possible I will have pics for you.

This should drive the point of attention to detail home for some.

Jack Burch
    Hill Country Shooting Sports

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What makes you think the Ruger M77 saved his life?

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

It is hard to believe that no hand or arm injuries were sustained. Lucky guy. It is incidents like this that injure innocent bystanders or competitors. Glad I wasn't beside him. Looking forward, I bet he will have to work hard to get rid of the newly acquired flinch.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Ruger M77 is a pretty strong gun, but not many standard rifles would be able to withstand that type of a pressure increase. I carry a lot of different ammo from time to time and have to pay attention. Only one type of ammo is out for the rifle I will be shooting. I also double check if there is a problem chambering a round. If it doesn't look right or feel right, I take a second look.

It would be interesting to see the pictures. I'm sure it was a rather spectacular failure.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Correct Headspace is necessary to insure the powder burns and maintains the correct pressure level.

When it is too great, the brass alone has to contain 52,000lbs of pressure. Of course this is impossible and the results can be catastrophic.

This is one of the more severe cases I have heard of, but due to the large openarea ahead of the 308 case, only a little surprising.

Happy there was not a death.

HM

6. IndianaTrapshooter08

IndianaTrapshooter08 TS Member

I believe I read somewhere that more and more guns are being produced so that in case of an explosion. The material is sent flying away from the face. Correct me if i'm wrong and I most likely am. lol Jacob Guthrie

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Do some research on the 1903 springfield rifle. They were testing them with shells loaded with pistol powder and pressure in excess of 130,000 psi with no failure of the bolt or action. The brass would melt and fuse in the chamber and bolt face.

8. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Toolmaker,

Simply because the action did not fail. It sure was not due to his superior observation skills.

I would agree that it was divine intervention as well. God does protect us from ourselves on a moment by moment basis.

Jack

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well..... So much for Dawins theory. Jeff

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

It's a testament to the strength of the mauser-type action. It was designed to force a catastrophic rupture down, and not back at the shooter. It sounds like the shooter's injuries were minor compared to the destruction of the rifle.

The Springfield '03, and Ruger 77 actions are direct descendants of the 98 Mauser.

Dennis

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

"Looking forward, I bet he will have to work hard to get rid of the newly acquired flinch."

I know, I'm sick, but that was DAMN funny.

AJ100

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Stainless Ruger M-77 MKII is the only rifle I will use in the field. Actually, I have two. One in 308, one in 30/06.

The Ruger is a greatly improved 1898 Commercial Mauser design. It is the ACME of sporting rifle design.

Only the Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester is more asthetically pleasing, but it will typically injure the shooter if a similar thing happens to it.

13. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Hmm..... aren't the Ruger actions investment cast? Never knew the K98 was a weak or ugly design. Just about a worse case senario putting the 308 in a 25-06 but the very obvious diffrence in outward appearance should make it rare. Now keeping my 7-08 and 243 ammo seperate without my specs is challenging.

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

This is a good discussion however I must point out the subject of GUN EXPLODES is a real attraction for the anti-gunners that prowl these sites. Words like accident, fatality, explosion, injury are what these people are looking for. If you don't think the media has the wherewithal to distort to their agenda you really aren't paying attention. May I suggest when starting a thread, that we consider the words we are use and the possible misuse by an anti.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.