1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Explodes**Anyone Know The Facts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by VAMiket, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

CHARLEVOIX COUNTY -- A 57-year-old Petoskey man was seriously injured in a game-shooting accident Sunday. Police said Robert Hofstetter was target shooting at the Rod & Gun Club on U.S. 131, north of Charlevoix, about noon when his shotgun exploded, sending shrapnel into his left arm. He was transported to Charlevoix Area Hospital and transferred to Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey for treatment. The incident is under investigation.

2. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

K-80 ???? GOOD LUCK

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A 57-year-old Petoskey man was seriously injured in a game-shooting accident

What is a game shooting accident? back fence games?

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

allways, allways look down your barrels before you shoot. i was cleaning one of my barrels and a piece of those bore swab came apart in my barrel while cleaning. if i had not look down the barrel as i allways do after cleaning this piece of cotton swab would have been lodged in barrel.

5. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

This is why I don't shoot the new AA's. Not saying that is the cause but I've heard and seen two barrels buldge because one half of the two piece was stays in the barrel. I have seen two barrels get ruined in the last three months because of AA's.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I asked that because I've heard of a few that have blown apart. This summer at a local club a friend had one blow up and tore his arm up pretty bad.

I don't think he ever shoots Winchester shells. No offense, just curious. GOOD LUCK

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

krieghoffkrusher- You stated that you have seen two barrels bulged because one half of the two piece AA "was" (sic wad)remained in the barrel. But, Winchester uses a one piece wad. You may have intended to refer to the two piece Winchester hull. That problem has been addressed by Winchester.

I am pleased that you mentioned a barrel bulge. It has been demonstrated several times that barrel obstructions can bulge a barrel but not cause a gun to explode unless the obstruction is immovable. A 20 ga shell lodged in a 12 ga barrel only resulted in a barrel bulge when tested by the NRA.

Pat Ireland

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat -

"That problem has been addressed by Winchester." How so?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

mrskeet410- According to Winchester, a crimp has now been applied to the base wad.

m r ducks- The NRA study was published in The American Rifleman nearly 20 years ago. They stuck loaded 20 ga shells in 12 ga barrels and fired the guns. None of the barrels ruptured on the first try. I remember, to my horror, that they used very nice old double barrels for the test. I wish they has used Rem. 870s.

Bruce Bowen reported last year on this site some information about the difficulty he had rupturing a Stevens single shot barrel with different obstructions. Barrels do not rupture as easily as many of us were lead to believe. I guess I should say shotgun barrels don't rupture easily. Rifle barrels are different.

Pat Ireland

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat Ireland - Good info, thanks. W-W public relations department should be getting that info out. But then, their legal department will say if W-W claims they improved or fixed it, that is admitting there was a past problem. Sort of like sending out Come Sue Me invitations.

Isn't that what drove Cessna or Piper out of the civilian airplane business?

11. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I talked to the owner of the gun. He was using factory ammo at the time, but it wasn't Winchester. They were on the fourth station of the clays course when it happened. He has no idea what caused it. The investigation is just beginning. The owner is a careful, competent shooter.
    Dave

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

mrskeet410- Winchester did not admit to a problem. Perhaps, from one view point they did not. I did have two people send me AA hulls where the base wad had moved forward. All of the hulls appeared to have been reloaded many more times than I would load a hull.

Pat Ireland

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Pat, we had a shooter down here about 5-6 months ago blow up his barrel on his 4 barrel set. He had 12 ga.barrels in gun with wife on line. He had 12 ga. in his pocket and she had the 20 ga. she always used. Put one of the 20 ga. shells in the 12 ga. barrels and realized he had wrong barrels in gun, he could not get the 20 ga. shell out quickly and just changed the barrels so his wife would not hold up the squad. She finished round with husband helping her. He also had some friends shooting with him as well. He helped them shoot around together. After they finished shooting it was his time to shoot, you guessed it he forgot about the 20 ga. shell in his 12 ga. barrels loaded a 12 ga. shell in his gun and it blew up in his face. I was not at the range the day it happened, but I did talk to a gentleman that was on the squad he shooting on. It happened in the bottom barrel of the gun and blew out the right side of barrel. He was very lucky it just took one and half fingers off in his left hand. No one on the squad was hurt. It could of took his hand off if it blew out the left side. I have not heard of him coming back as of yet. I did also shoot with a gentleman with a XS browning in the 28 ga. who loaded his shells with a progressive machine, he was shooting a bad batch of shells at pratice one day and kept forgeting to bring the stick with him to knock out the wad on his bluppers. So I watched him shoot out two of them in the same day.(while the puller was getting the stick off the next field. No harm to the barrel at all. I thought it would in the higher pressures of the smaller guns. Some people just get lucky I guess. I don't know what kind of 4 barrel set the gentleman was shooting but only a few made a true 4 barrel. Believe it or not. Break-em all. Jeff

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

In hunter ed, we use a Remington video where they intentionally put a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge 1100.

Exciting results!

In engineering terms, it's what we call a "catastrophic failure."

15. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

Alberta Hunter Ed has a donated Lebeau=Corally sidelock double,sold as a Browning that some individual fired a 12 with a 29 on the bore,it destroyed tha gun zand no doubr injured the shooter,it is a mess!It was donated so show an example of what careless handling can result in.Jack

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It would be interesting to know what type of loads the gentleman fired in the gun previously. Did he mostly fire reloads or factory. If he used any reloads, what was his "exact" load. Not what he "claims" to have loaded. It could well be that the damage to the gun was done prior to the catastrophic event.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not recall the year that the NRA test was published. It was a major article in the American Rifleman and I believe it was done over 20 years ago. The test involved putting 20 ga shells in some very nice 12 ga side by sides and firing a 12 ga shell through the blocked barrel. All barrels did show some damage after the first shot but none of the barrels ruptured. On subsequent firings, the barrels did rupture.

Jeff- I have also seen a shooter, after having a blooper round, shoot out a wad from his barrel. I think this practice is rather stupid but probably safe. If 200 lbs. of force applied to a stick will dislodge a stuck wad, shooting the wad out should only add a maximum of 200 psi to the chamber pressure. Because of the air space between the stuck wad and the chamber, the 200 psi possible increase estimate would most likely be high. Back pressure caused by the stuck wad would increase after the initial chamber pressure is decreasing.

We know that occasionally guns do blow up. Foreign matter in barrels is a simple, but often inaccurate, explanation for the failure.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many rifles have exploded when shot with a visible bulge in the barrel