1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Dynamics: Beretta 687 vs SKB700

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I usually shoot a 32 inch Beretta 687 and like how it handles. Even though it is 32 inch, it feels fast and I can shoot targets well before the peak.My last set with it was a 24.

Another gun is a 1970s SKB700 with a broadway rib and choked IM and F. Very pretty gun but I haven't used it in a while. I used to do well with it.

After using the Beretta, the SKB feels heavy and slow and my scores with it suffered. I will pattern it to see where it is shooting just to rule that out but I am thinking I need a lot more lead with it than the faster handling Beretta. Not just a weight difference but the inertia. I believe but cant prove that gun speed builds in lead and what I am used to seeing on the B-gun isnt right for the SKB.

thoughts here?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You are right, Bruce. Swing inertia can definitely affect shooting accuracy and, depending on the shooter's style, it can indeed affect "built-in" lead.

As with lock time, you will eventually adapt, but going back and forth between wildly different guns can confuse the brain and hurts scores for most people. There are a few freaks however, like my late uncle, who seem to be able to pick up any shotgun and adjust to it in only a few shots.

If I were you I'd re-retire the old SKB. The Beretta is a much higher end and more reliable trap gun anyway.

Good luck,

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.