1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Doubling

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bhuber, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

Just curious if any of you have ever had a problem with your over/under shooting both shells at the same time. I had this happen to me 3 times the other day while shooting. Some have told me that there may have been trash in the trigger or to much oil on the springs.

I don't know what it was I gave it another good cleaning and it hasn't done it again, but my mind keeps wondering when it will happen again. I shoot an MX-3 Special Top Single Combo. It has a selectable trigger so I checked to see if for some reason the selector had gotten pushed to the middle but that wasn't it either.

Any insite would be appreciated.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, are you referring to both barrels firing simultaneously (one big bang) or the second barrel firing a fraction of a second later? Are the triggers pull or release?

We could make better guesses with a little more information.

Pat Ireland

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a regular MX-3 not the Special and had to have a gunsmith repair the trigger to prevent the gun from Doubling. I think he sharpened the sears. Another possibility is the inertia block. Anyhow IMHO Pull triggers should go off with at least a 3 1/2 lb pull and Release triggers should Set at 80 oz and go off at 24 to 32 oz. A worn Barrel selector is another possibility that a good gunsmith would check. I had trouble with a Browning Citori when I didn't hold the gun tight enough against my shoulder and the gun would bounce off my shoulder on the first shot and go off again because of recoil. This is called a "Bump Double".

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Sounds like the sear engagement is insufficient. If you have pull triggers send to Giacomo in Lee Center New York. If they are releases send to who ever made the release.

5. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

sounds like a job for the BATFE

6. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I had a Stoeger uplander that did that, both bbls at the same time, new gun out of the box....ent it back 3x before they finally sent me a new gun....sold it promplty.......course it was a Stoeger brand and not a solid MFG.

7. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

Sorry I am so late responding back, I have been out of pocket a few days. Thanks for the input. I am going to let Giacomo look at it and see if he can figure it out, I am sure he will find something to fix.

Pat it is a pull/pull trigger and it was one big boom. I cleaned it really well after it did it and it hasn't done it again, but my mind keeps wondering when I will get the big boom again.

Thanks again,
    Brent Huber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.