1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Dog Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Sep 9, 2013.

1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I have a 12 month old hunting spaniel, who tears up every bed I put in her dog house.

She is only in the kennel with the dog house at night. This is a happy non agressive dog.

Any ideas on bedding? I could use straw, but she comes in the house and would bring it in on her coat, I think.

Any ideas for bedding or a non destructable bed? Thanks!

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Use prairie hay, she's tearing up the beds because she's bored.

3. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have used cedar shavings or flakes. Makes them smell good and no fleas. Dogs usually shake when they get up and stretch. Throw in an old pair of jeans to tear up when bored.....m

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

+1 on the cedar chips. It'll make her smell like a gerbil, though...

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Straw would be fine. Brush her for a minute or two before she comes in the house - she'll like it. Cedar shavings should work too.

Petco sells a hard rubber, hollow toy they call a Kong. The black one seems pretty indestructible. My trainer says that putting some peanut butter inside will keep them busy for hours. My young female Chesapeake has had one for months without destroying it. She can consume a large rawhide bone in a couple of hours, and did a pretty good job on the entrance to her doghouse when she got bored. My wife got her a large plastic ball with a handle that claimed it was a good toy for large dogs and horses. She pretty much had the handle off in twenty minutes. Again, she hasn't destroyed the black Kong after several months.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My 8 month old Lab has made it necessary for me to go shopping for a new utility room floor.

This is what they do if they can't be outside digging 2 foot holes in the back yard.

Actually, as said, they get bored. I found an hour of running with other dogs in the dog park daily has reduced her damage total a lot.

HM

7. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

Cedar shavings are fine. The dog doesn't really need bedding, unless it starts to develop bumps on the elbows from the hard floor. Kongs with peanut butter work well, but getting the dog good and tired is best. I really don't like dog parks though. Find a place with lots of rabbits or squirrels.
    Jack

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Cedar chips.

9. perezal

perezal Member

+1 on the cedar chips. Get a decoy and have her bring it back. She is a working dog. Good gun dogs for doves.

10. psfive

psfive Member

Cedar chips are hard on a dogs nose. Straw turns into very fine needle like pieces (not good). Prairie hay is the way to go. Been using it for years and years. Paul in GINebraska.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Someone was making a toy, one put dry dog food in. The dog has to work at getting the food out, one piece at a time. It takes hours to get a meal, and keeps the dog very busy working to get the food.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

They do make a tear proof dog bed. Get a dog catalog. OR bring the dog inside and it will crawl in bed with you. English Springers are exceptionally affectionate [ran field trials for 40 years]. Fred

13. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Kong goodie dog bone.put peanut butter in it and your dog will be busy all night.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Lots of excersize. Play toys won't substitute for the tearing stuff up behavior. You dog is communicating to you through this behavior, it's up to you whether you want to listen or not.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My guy Riley was tearing up the dog beds (even the Dog proof ones) until the trainer from Luke Air Force Base said to use an old Tee shirt of mine for a cover, hasn't ripped it up since and seems to prefers sleeping on anything that I have worn since ... He also has a black KONG toy because he would rip up indestructable toys like they were made of paper, so far so good on that one ... I buy him soup bones from the Butcher, he loves them and works on them for days even after the marrow is gone ... The Kong toy fillers do not work with my guy, gets them out in 5 minutes gone in another 5 minutes and you can't cut them with a saw ... I'm not sure if he is a good gun dog or not, probably won't ever know unless someone breaks in the house and I'm there ... I'm going to take him up to the club and see how it goes ... He was crate trained as a puppy, we let him have the run of the house at night at about 14 months, still gets in his crate from time to time to make sure its still there ... I don't hunt anymore so it don't matter ... He gets plenty of exercise running out on the golf course with his cousin (another dog) or chasing the bunnies ... How can you not Love that face ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...
    wpt_2008_0303_143.jpg

16. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

One problem that I never had with my lab was tearing up his bed, he slept in his crate when he was a puppy, just to keep him safe when we couldn't watch him. Since he grew up a little (he turned 2 in May), we've been letting him sleep anywhere he wants to in the house, which is always right next to a family member. You're dog may be happier that way, too, and it may surprise you how good he is when he has that freedom.

On a side note, my black lab can destroy any toy out there, except for the Kong, we got him the blue one that is smaller than the black Kong, because we got it when he was a puppy. At 105 pounds, he could certainly use the bigger one, but the smaller one is working and we don't want to mess up a good thing! Put some PB in there and he's eaten it all in 5 minutes. I just read online that if you put the PB in the Kong and then freeze it, it keeps them busy much longer, we're going to try that soon!

17. Shuck M.

Shuck M. Member

My ep and setter are on straw if they go in the kennels. We haven't had issues with them tracking the straw inside on their coats, even the setter. Try it. Snug as bugs in rugs.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

cedar chips. cleaner, less dust, and the pup smells better.

Ear mites are less likely too.

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Carpet remnants or nothing! Old cloths or clothing work.

Joe

20. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

What can I say
    sirmissalott_2008_03039.jpg