1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun displays?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I need some help! I'm helping a friend with his gun room. Here's the problem he has to many guns. LOL Actually he has about 44 feet of wall space and about 250 high end guns. I need some ideas on how to display them so there not touching or too close to each other. We would like this to look like a gun room and not a Dicks sporting goods. Any ideas would be appreciated. If anyone knows of a manufacturer of high end gun racks I would be interested in the info.
    Joe goldberg

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It seems to me money would not be an issue. I say go with Bill Grill's gun rack. A whole wall of this type of display, with upper and lower deck, would look pretty impressive. Maybe put glass sliding doors on them to keep the dust off, and a dehumidifier system. Find a good Carpenter, Stain/Finisher, Electrician, and enough Cherry stock to cover the project, and you will be set. $35-$40 thousand should cover it. Jon
    stlflyn_2010_0704150.jpg

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

check this out

http://www.rhinovault.com/weapons_storage2.htm

or this

http://www.tsiweapons.com/images/components/6capacitystockrest.jpg

http://www.tsiweapons.com/components.html

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

the math doesn't work. first, you're gonna need at least a nine foot ceiling to double them up, over/under, so to speak. and even that is gonna be tight. second, 44 lf equals an 11x11 foot room. by the time you line the room with cabinets the floor space is gonna be about 8x8. third, 250 guns divided by 88 lf equals 1 gun per 4 inches. that's how they're spaced in a safe. that's gonna be pretty tight on the shelf, doesn't provide much floor space to lean back in a leather recliner, sip a bourbon and admire the herd, and doesn't allow any space for any expansion of the collection. but what a great problem to have! good luck with it

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I always wanted a display case, but the security issue has always bothered my. My toys are locked away in a big fire and burglar-resistant safe. Does your friend really feel ok with having that many high-end guns just out in the open like that?

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You don't "leave them in the open". You start your project by building a big, hard, room with a hard top. Then the carpentry and electrical work begins. A gun room full of high end guns is a waste if there is no room to sit and admire. I have a 17 open gun rifle cabinet that I will put in my dream room, but most guns will be displayed pretty tight. It's hard to avoid when, like the other poster's friend, has 250 high end guns. Don't worry, 250 high end guns won't look like Dick's Sporting Goods.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If he has 250 high end guns, I am thinking he has a large room with 44 lf. left over of one wall, with a minimum 9 foot ceiling. That was my thought process. But then again why does he only have 44 lf. of wall space if he owns $750,000 or more worth of in my opinion of HIGH END GUNS, ($3000 avg.)? If I owned that many high end guns, my gun room would be a hidden underground bunker man cave, measuring at least 20 X 40 that would have the walls lined with guns displayed as above, a bar on one end, a theater setting on the other, with a bank vault door. Only a very few people would know about it. Jon

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

He wants the guns on only two walls of an adequate sized room with high ceilings.
    Were working with about 26' X 18'

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I want pictures after this room is done...bet it comes out looking amazing!!!

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

cool. sounds like you're gonna be working around the bar, the home theater, the vault door and the leather recliners. you just need to find a custom cabinet maker. just like with a kitchen, they'll help you design your gun room. good luck with it

btw, that was pretty funny, eightbore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.