1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Difference

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by itchy, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itchy

itchy TS Member

I have been shooting a 90T for about 2 months and am now shooting it not bad.When Iam on the target nothing but dust.Last night wanted to try something different,so I set up my kids 682 for myself.Went to the shoot board and got the POI the same as the 90T.Went out and shot it and dont get the same breaks.No powder like the 90T.The 90 has factory full choke,and used Berreta optima full.Any ideas on why the difference in the breaks.

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The weight and balance of the guns are different. Even though the pattern board appeared to show the same POI as your 90T...that was on a stationary target. You apparently never got the meat of the pattern on the target.

Buz

3. itchy

itchy TS Member

Definetly noticed the difference in the weight of guns and how they swing,but I thought if I was on the target should get the same breaks.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Itchy',

90T's are generally choked at about .040. They are very tightly choked from the factory. And to this, some of the barrel ID's are .755 from the factory. If you get a chance to Mic the barrel with a bore guage, do so. 90T's have allways been target smokers!

ec90t

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

pattern is more than a single choke dimension

pattern the gun at shooting distance and then at 40 yards-- compare patterns to the way you shoot-- and go from there

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS as mentioned above-- there are a lot of variables you are dealing with with two totally different guns

1. Gun dynamics of weight and distribution of mass
    2. Fit
    3. Other things- trigger , lock time, etc
    4. POI
    5. Percentage of shot in the kill zone

within each of the above there are sub variables

bottom line- it is difficult to narrow in on one thing which causes you to shoot good or bad with so many variables

plus you could just have a good day or bad--- ie your own variables- unrelated to the gun you are shooting

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

My guess is that the 90-T is getting more shot onto the target at the same time vs the Beretta due to a shorter shot string.

Larger bore diameters generally produce a shorter shot string than smaller bore diameters, with all other things being equal.

hubcap

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Some shotguns shoot to expected percentages, some need a good trading. Not all are created equal regardless of what the numbers say it should be either. Hap

8. itchy

itchy TS Member

I am going to add one more thing here.I used to shoot a 3200,and with bottom barrel,imp mod, was getting better breaks than the Berreta full.Are the Berreta chokes open more even with a full?I like shooting the Berreta,but with the 90T getting those kind of breaks,it gets the confidence up.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

itchy,

The other thing that I forgot to post, is that Beretta's are notorious for a very abrupt forcing cone. When I got rid of my 90T, I bought a 682X unsingle combo. My Beretta had Mobile chokes on both barrels. I invested in a set of Briley extended choke tubes and the quality of the "break" was improved. I then took my gun to a very good gunsmith and had the forcing cones lengthend. I then started to get the same quality of break that I experienced with my 90T. I know for some that the "lengthend forcing cones" is a no no, but it has worked for me on every gun that I had it done to.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.